To Alcohol! The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Building on the spirit (npi) of the welcoming committee for the Arrivals Lounge and Lounge of yore, I thought I’d start a topic about cocktails, spirits, and all beverages fermented, distilled, and otherwise alcoholic.

I’ll start this thread by sharing a secret family recipe;

1/2 pound fresh ginger, peeled and cut to 1/4 inch slices
5 cups water
2 cups sugar
3-5 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla bean

Add ginger, cinnamon sticks, and sugar to water, bring to boil then reduce to a simmer and leave for 1 hour until liquid reduces 50% or so. Add scraping from vanilla bean (or extract, if you must) to the mixture and allow to simmer for 5 more minutes, then remove from heat. Allow to cool, then strain (squeezing ginger) through a filter (coffee filter, or paper towel). You should end up with about 2 cups of the most delicious ginger syrup you’ve ever tasted.

What to do with ginger syrup; the Waetherman’s Dark & Stormy

2oz good (but not too good) dark rum - I use El Dorado 12 year
2 oz ginger syrup (or more, to taste)
2oz seltzer water
slice of lime, squeezed

At the end, you have a fine cocktail and also some nice cooked sliced ginger that can be easily turned in to a pretty spicy candied ginger (dry and toss with granulated sugar).

Syrup can also be used for “virgin” drinks. But why?

18 Likes

I don’t usually make any sort of mixed drinks. partly because I don’t drink often enough to think of it. But what I do is try to change up what I enjoy my drink with. The oatmeal walnut saffron cookies I made yesterday turned out really good, so one of those with some armagnac might be in my immediate future.

7 Likes

Recipe or it didn’t happen.

8 Likes

OK, I will try to remember it now, but I am really tired and sore…

Softened one stick of unsalted butter with a large pinch (probably between 1/8-1/4 teaspoon) of saffron
Mixed 1.5 c flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground clove
Beat softened butter with 1.25 c brown sugar, gradually added two eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract
Gradually beat dry mix into sugar+butter, added 1c fine “minute” rolled oats, then 2c coarser rolled oats
Add raisins - I had only 1/2c on hand, and about 1 - 1.25c chopped walnuts
Rolled into balls about 1.5" and flattened onto cookie sheet
Baked at 325F for twelve minutes in a crappy convection oven

9 Likes

i use saffron in my vegetable soup, my spanish rice, and a few other recipes. i made a saffron flavored custard with dried cherries macerated in kirsch prior to cooking and garnished with a pinch of black sea salt. i like using saffron for sweet dishes but i’ve yet to convince anyone else in my family.

7 Likes

let me offer a recipe my dad perfected a few years before he died, it’s called a turlington twister. fill a tall glass with ice cubes, add 3-5 dashes angostura bitters, 2 shots of a profoundly herbaceous gin (we like tanqueray 10) and stir. fill glass with a sugar free lemon-lime soda while slowly stirring as you add the soda. it is a refreshing drink for a hot day.

9 Likes

You lost me at raisins.

You monster.

11 Likes

When I see a raisin, all I can think is:

What a waste of a perfectly good grape.

Abomination.

7 Likes

I think that some kind of chewy fruit or berry can be enjoyable in there. How about currants? Candied ginger and carrot chunks would go well.

4 Likes

Teetotal! My favourite ‘cocktail’ is this

Take 1 packet of Yorkshire Tea loose leaf tea
Mix thoroughly with 1 packet of either Fair Trade or Own Brand loose leaf tea (depending on availability)
Put 2 generous teaspoons of this in a large teapot and cover with boiling water.
Stir and steep for 2 minutes
Pour through a strainer into a large mug (the larger the better)
Add milk until you achieve the correct shade of brown
Enjoy!

6 Likes

Ooh, I like a nice cup of tea myself, but I also like cocktails. Depends on the weather and the time of day.

There’s a nerd lounge in Toronto called Lockhart’s. As the name implies, they mostly riff on Harry Potter, but they do other nerdoms as well. I loved their Captain Picard so much I took a stab at recreating it:

• Take a half-litre bottle of Bombay Sapphire gin, pour into a half-litre mason jar, and add two bags of the most aromatic, herby Earl Grey tea you can find. Seal the jar and let sit at room temperature for at least two hours.

• Pour the infused gin back into the bottle for ease of mixing.

• Make a G&T with it. At Lockhart’s they add agave syrup, but I’m not a fan of sweet drinks and skip that part.

• Make sure the AC is on and queue up some ST:TNG on Netflix.

Yummmmm.

11 Likes

respectfully tiptoes in

Please don’t overindulge…your livers will thank you.

I almost beg that you trust me on this one. Because “normal” drinking can, and often will, spiral into “Oh fuck, where’s my head?” drinking.

P.S.: I do envy you a bit, like a stage mother with her protege. But only a bit. <3

respectfully tiptoes out, never to return to this particular thread

12 Likes

My favourite recipe I call a dram. Take an old-fashioned glass, one bottle of Lagavulin 16 y.o., pour a stiff two fingers, top up to taste.

9 Likes

It’s the inventor of vodka’s birthday today! And it turns out she was an 18c Swedish noblewoman. I did not know this.

She got a Google doodle:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Eva+Ekeblad&oi=ddle&ct=eva-ekeblads-293rd-birthday-5169157527044096&hl=en&ictx=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiViLn6kP_UAhWLzIMKHQvuD7IQPQgB&biw=360&bih=560&dpr=4

8 Likes

Retro booze:

6 Likes

“Wanna try this home-made fermented thing I made at home and don’t know the effects of? It’s for a video I’m doing for the video feed!”

See, when I mentioned working with swingers on the other thread? Totally mundane.

8 Likes

A favourite drinking song:

4 Likes

Morning after song from the same folks:

2 Likes

This thread was made for this song:

3 Likes
3 Likes