To Alcohol! The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

5 Likes

It also sounds like a good home remedy. IIRC thereā€™s evidence that gingerā€™s good for the stomach, but Iā€™ve found that even with common colds, just handling the ginger (breathing in the fumes) can be helpful.

4 Likes
3 Likes

A late happy birthday to vodka then!

4 Likes

Iā€™m drinking right now!

11 Likes

This thread needs more alcohol. Hereā€™s one of my personal favorites.
1 part tequila
2 parts sangrita
1 part grapefruit juice (usually substituted with grapefruit soda, like squirt)
A pinch of salt
lime
Tabasco sauce to taste.

Pour everything in a glass, stir. Drink.

7 Likes
12 Likes

This would be great with Jarritos in place of the grapefruit juice

5 Likes

Take one part whisky.
Take one part whisky.
Take one part whisky.

Mix and consume. If youā€™re feeling fancy, use a glass.

15 Likes

It certainly seems to be a salve or temporary respite for me tonight. That and autocorrect.

4 Likes

A Mexican waiter recommended a Michelada to me recently, and for some reason I said ā€œsureā€, and was amazed. Even though all of the individual ingredients sounded awful ā€“ cheap Mexican beer, Clamato, Maggi sauce, tabasco ā€“ somehow when you put all of them together on a hot summer day, you get something savory and unexpectedly delicious and refreshing.

6 Likes

You know, thatā€™s the second time this week Iā€™ve heard that drink refered to as a michelada, I need to go out drinking more often. Around here we would call that a clamato, probably because thatā€™s the main ingredient.
A michelada would be beer, lemon and a pinch of salt.
But yeah, when my wifes family comes over we make sure to have a couple of large bottles of clamato on hand :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plus, itā€™s WAY better than a US-Midwest ā€œred beerā€, thatā€™s just cheap beer and tomato juice. I once worked the 7 am shift at a bar next to a factory. Thatā€™s a very popular drink, but blergh without the spice!

3 Likes

Oh god. I know it too well.
I once worked on a community theater production of Lord of the Rings, and our Gandalf was a guy who was a professional Santa Claus ā€“ huge guy, huge white beard, huge voice. After the first night of rehearsal, he said heā€™d see us all at the bar and headed over. When we got there, heā€™d bought us all a round of his favorite drink ā€“ Bud Light and tomato juice. He grinned and boomed, ā€œIā€™m an ex-Marine! This is what we called ā€œbloody horse pissā€! Drink up! HO HO HO!ā€

10 Likes

Eeeeew. Very few things sound more disgusting than ā€œbloody horse pissā€, and Iā€™m going to have to go bleach my brain, lest I inadvertently think of some of thoseā€¦

4 Likes

At the North Pole they call it Bloody Reindeer Piss

4 Likes

What is really called forā€¦

Substitute cheap Canadian beer for Mexican, Worcester sauce for Maggi, and youā€™ve got a very Canadian redeye.

9 Likes

Currently having my own modification of a recipe for a ā€œkentucky buckā€ that I saw today (I didnā€™t have some of the ingredients, so hacked it together from what was on hand). My version:

2oz bourbon (Buffalo Trace was what I had on hand)
1oz sweetened lime juice (Roseā€™s)
2 maraschino cherries and half a spoonful of the syrup
one shot of bitters (some handmade bitters from a kickstarter)
one small bottle of spicy ginger ale (Red Rock)

The result came out a lot better than Iā€™d expected, and very drinkable. I do think it needs some tweaking, though Iā€™m not entirely sure what to tweak. The original recipe called for a strawberry, lemon juice, and simple syrup (as well as some different proportions), but Iā€™ll have to make do with whatā€™s on hand. Might try cranberry or prickly pear bitters next timeā€¦

2 Likes

Hence the title, I suppose.
Long term: cause of.
Short term: solution to.

But thanks, Ma. We do trust you.

You cannot resist the power of my reply notification. :grin:

2 Likes
3 Likes