To Alcohol! The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

The biggest single upgrade I’ve made to my cocktails is using Luxardo cherries & their syrup versus the usual supermarket maraschinos. They’re pricey but so worth it.

3 Likes

Update: the prickly pear bitters definitely have a positive impact on this one, to my tastes anyways. I’d recommend some similar bitter-but-fruity additive if recreating it.

I’ve been meaning to get some, but for the moment I am at least using Tillen Farms (a slightly higher quality than the basic, though still supermarket). Something to try again later…

3 Likes

i do like Luxardo cherries, but their syrup is too… syrupy for my tastes. it’s so THICK. we buy Badabing, and they are pretty tasty too. definitely better than clown-nose cherries.

4 Likes

Are there any really great new IPAs out there? I think I might have to quit drinking for 9 months on Friday, so if anything is new and good, I want to try it. There’s a new store by my house that sells singles of a ton of craft beer, so I can have up to three.

3 Likes

i kept meaning to post this, but also kept forgetting until now: i don’t know how many of you are familiar with the Basque cocktail, the Picon Punch, but it’s basically the unofficial cocktail of Nevada (particularly Northern NV). it also has an interesting history, and a local reporter recently did a great article about it. i can attest that the drink packs a wallop.

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2017/08/10/origin-picon-punch-western-cocktail/549304001/

2 Likes

I’m guessing Amer Picon is one of those regionally-available liquors; I’ve never seen the stuff, even at a local store that specializes in amaro. I’d like to try it! Fascinating history.

Sadly all of the really great IPAs I’ve tried lately end up either being ultra limited editions (like Space Juice) or impossible to get ahold of unless you know someone in the area (like Heady Topper). I like Sixpoint Resin.

3 Likes

i’m not sure – it might be more readily available regionally, but i’m sure you can get it online.

1 Like

let me offer a recipe for a drink i created. i call it a scotsman on a horse (the name, and drink, is a take-off on rob roy with a monty python twist). two shots of a highly peated single malt scotch (my favorite for this drink is lagavulin) with a half teaspoon of dry vermouth shaken with ice until stinging cold, strained into a martini glass and served with a lemon twist.

7 Likes

Dang, I’m coming up empty. The internet says it’s no longer available in the US?

1 Like

the French Torani Amer isn’t available in the US anymore (but it’s been toned down, anyway, so meh), but other distilleries are making it. i’ve tried the Golden Moon Distillery’s Amer Dit Picon, and it’s really good – definitely more bitter than the Torani: http://goldenmoondistillery.com/ourspirits

but the easiest way is to make your own! Jamie Boudreau reverse-engineered a vintage bottle and came up with his own recipe, which passed muster with Those Who Would Know at Tales of the Cocktail one year. here’s his article and recipe about it. i’m planning on making some:

3 Likes

Thank you! I love bitter orange flavors, so I may give his recipe a shot. I sadly live in a state that doesn’t allow alcohol shipping (though that might change soon), but I can get all the stuff for his version locally quite easily.

2 Likes

you’re quite welcome – if you do, let me know how it turns out!

1 Like

Almost all my years have been spent in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Michigan. Never have I come across this concoction. And for that, I am grateful.

4 Likes

This reminds me of a drink I invented for a friend’s 40th birthday. I call it the Midlife Crisis;

3 oz anejo rum, aged at least 20 years old, over rocks
add 1 part each nostalgia and regret
garnish with a sprig of fresh mint

8 Likes

10 Likes

With hunger calling out to him and no bacon sizzling on the well-worn Waffle House grill, Bowen said he waited for 10 minutes at the register.

“I walked back outside to look for employees,” Bowen said. “No one in sight.”

Bowen said he didn’t notice the sleeping employee in a corner booth at first, but he walked back inside.

“Walked back in and waited a few more minutes and then it was go time,” Bowen said with a laugh.

In a post on Facebook, Bowen showed the sleeping employee how he became the king of his very own Waffle House.

“Got hot on the grill with a double Texas bacon cheesesteak melt with extra pickles,” Bowen said. “When I was done I cleaned the grill, collected my ill-gotten sandwich and rolled on out.”

The photos in this post show Bowen in the cooking areas and a stacked sandwich.

“I give all the credit to my old friend vodka,” Bowen said. “I wouldn’t normally have done that.”

6 Likes

I’m sure the low wage worker who was asleep will now lose his job, all so a white dude could look funny on social media. Good times.

10 Likes

if sleeping on the job was the employee’s general worth ethic, s/he would probably have lost the job at some point anyway. and what does the guy’s race have to do with anything?

1 Like

Again, low wage worker, probably trying to make ends meet by long shifts at a waffle house is getting fired, because a privileged white dude decided to make his own food instead of waking the employee up. The guy is getting someone else fired, instead of getting in trouble for being behind the counter at a place he doesn’t work.

7 Likes

Some people don’t have the luxury of being able to sleep, probably because they have to work 100 or so hours a week at shitty menial jobs just to make ends meet.

8 Likes