To Alcohol! The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

i just think there’s a lot of assumptions going on there.

Assuming the worker fell asleep because of his work ethic, as opposed to sleep deprivation, is one of these.

I have been lazy before, and I have fallen asleep randomly in public before, and I know that for me, one does not lead to the other. My educated guess based on past experience leads me to believe that this is sleep deprivation. Of course, I could be wrong, because I don’t know the whole story.

11 Likes

We know it was a midnight shift at a Waffle House that apparently was deserted on a Wednesday night. It’s not a huge assumption that the person on shift was very low on the economic totem pole.

10 Likes

A couple of years before my dad died, he fell asleep on the job and got fired for “laziness.” Turns out he had a bleeding ulcer, not that he was lazy at all (which we all knew). But management just assumed it was him being a typical lazy, working class person. Instead, he was bleeding internally.

Most of the people in the working classes aren’t lazy. They are struggling to make ends meet at low wage jobs like WH, and generally exhausted. Much like @LearnedCoward, given my own experiences growing up working class and having family still in the working class, I’m also inclined to lean towards the overworked explanation as opposed to the tired of trope of the lazy underclass. But of course, I could be wrong.

As for the guy who took the pictures, he was drunk on vodka at a waffle house in the middle of the night… His actions and documenting it on social media is going to lead to a person, an actual human being losing their job. This guy, again, drunk at a waffle house in the middle of the night, taking food, instead of, you know, waking up the employee who was asleep, will suffer no consequences for his actions. I’m sure he has a great job or will in the future, and he can bank points off this story of his glory days for ages.

15 Likes

I worked for 8 years in a diner (Little Chef, for those of a UK persuasion) and every job I’ve had since then has been less work and better paid.

12 Likes

Article says suspended for a week.

9 Likes

That’s better than being fired, but that can still be a disaster for working class people.

12 Likes

fair point. i stand guilty as charged.

having been one of those people myself, i know this. i once worked the night shift in housekeeping at a hotel, and i worked as a dishwasher at a restaurant with late hours. i know how exhausting it is, and how little the pay is. but we know nothing of the worker’s health or anything. we don’t even know if the person will be fired – the management said “disciplinary action,” not “fired immediately.” for all we know, the restaurant will see an uptick in business as a result of the meme.

EDIT: oh, i see that the worker was suspended for a week. not great i’m sure, but at least they didn’t lose their job entirely.

3 Likes

It is possible the company doesn’t want the bad publicity that would ensue if they fired the guy right now, but as soon as the internet turns its focus to some other situation, that suspension might quietly become permanent.

8 Likes

12 Likes

always-drunk-tyrion

Been rewatching GoT,and I’m glad to see that Tyrion is just as much of a delight the second time around. Peter Dinklage should be in all the things!

11 Likes

Cinnamon Schnapps so good for real

2 Likes

Oh man, you’re young.

8 Likes

cerseimorewine

7 Likes

Ouzo had sadly been missing from my life until a few days ago.

Simple and tasty.

Probably should bring in in from the garage and try it from a clean glass, but, baby steps.

7 Likes

Oooh, and when did you become such a fancy lad…

6 Likes

I’ll 'ave you know, me mum raised a proper gentleman, she did.

But enough about my brother…

I just thought I should try it neat instead of “on the sawdust.” Let me add, the sawdust was already in the glass. Don’t drink and operate power tools, kids.

8 Likes

Charlie-Day-Wink

4 Likes

That reminds of an old trick I learned at a juggling festival with another anise flavored drink.
Sambuca is just thick enough to not run readily off your finger. So in a dark bar dip finger into shot glass, light, and slowly exhale as you put it out in your mouth. Pretty blue flames and tasty.

4 Likes

go full-on fancy, follow tradition, and put three coffee beans in the glass for good luck when you drink it, too.

5 Likes