Today's view

We all know what must be done.

tumblr_oartnpzgwn1ulaxnpo1_500

10 Likes

We had a visitor at 3AM. This is the first time Iā€™ve ever seen deer in a St Louis suburb, though thereā€™s a small patch of woods a little ways from our home.

Cell phone through a dirty/frosty window with whatever moonlight/city ambient light was available. I didnā€™t want to scare the deer off by turning on our back porch floodlights.

17 Likes

I used to see them all the time in Ohio. They had more room to roam though. St. Louis is a fairly dense city, so unless youā€™re out in West County somewhere youā€™re probably unlikely to see them.

I also used to see them at a national lab I used to work for. Whole families at a time, right on the lab property. Too bad I couldnā€™t take any pictures because of security reasons.

3 Likes

We suddenly started seeing deer when a huge plot of land near us was turned over to developers. They built dozens of houses so the deer had to go somewhere ā€“ i.e., our back yard. Theyā€™re graceful creatures, but Iā€™m a little afraid to go outside. The last thing I need is Lyme disease added to my other medical problems. A woman a couple of doors down got it.

5 Likes

Yesterdayā€™s view actually but a nice change of pace for otherwise urban Singaporeā€¦

13 Likes

From a morning walk a couple days ago. It was a beautiful morning, just the way I like it, cold and turbulent under a low slab of fast-moving clouds.

I canā€™t tell if this represents someone unaware of Rachel Carson or someone putting one over on the builder and buyers.

Or just not seeing a connection. Four years ago this was a pasture where you could sack out and watch the ISS streak overhead, so the name fits.

silent-spring-ct

(Image edited to make the sign readable after the camera flash blew it out.)
11 Likes

Hey, about 20km west of me is Atomic Avenue, so who knows.

(Thoā€™ I agree Silent Spring is a lot less ambiguous.)

4 Likes

The coolest thing happened and I got it all on video!!!

My daughter and I were eating at The Robert at Columbus Circle in NYC when we caught two ballet dancers having a private dance around the statue of Columbus.

The woman begins dancing then the man walks to the other side of the statue. She dances around to the right where she pretends to run into him as he walks toward her.

Then he drops to his knee and asks her to join him and they do a short but really impressive pas de deux, ending by walking hand and hand out of the circle.

It was literally movie perfect. We even had a lovely jazz piano playing in the restaurant as they danced.

No one else in the restaurant seemed to notice them and there was no audience in the street.

14 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty cool. Dance like no oneā€™s looking (even when they are).

5 Likes

A marriage proposal perhaps? Or just two professionals having a bit of impromptu fun?

6 Likes

@tekna I know, right? It was such a magical performance, so full of passion and fun.

@kxkvi Obviously she was wearing toe shoes or could not have gone up on point, so I am guessing that they were professionals who were on a break and decided to just have a little fun together. We were very close to Lincoln Center, where the NY Ballet dances, so my guess would be dancers from there. It was REALLY cold. I didnā€™t see anyone taping them.

8 Likes

I think it might have coordinated, informally. The first dancer was out there for minute, waiting, fucking around.

4 Likes

They were there together and I started recording because I saw her dancing around and thought something was up. At the start and end you see them waving up, so my guess is that there was someone recording from another building. It was quite a complicated little number so not just improvised. Still it was lovely to catch it.

7 Likes

Ah. Missed that. Dorbs tho.

3 Likes

Hay rakes in the snow. The weather report says it wonā€™t stop for a few more hours, but itā€™s slowed down a lot. Weā€™ve had maybe an inch and half fall, in the last 24 hours.

15 Likes

I shoveled 3 times before 9:00am, and then decided that Iā€™m going to wait to do it again until it actually stops snowing (which it hasnā€™t, yet, 3 hours later).

9 Likes

I found out what the dancers were up to.

9 Likes

I swept the steps to the front door, because it did stop snowing. I donā€™t usually think about it until there is ice, and Iā€™m irritated. Because of your comment I did it while the snow was still powdery, so, Thank You from future me. :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

13 Likes

stink bugs? those are invasive, right?

3 Likes