Today's view

The walk to work today. Usually September and October are gloriously mild with blue skies but it’s been pretty grey.

7 Likes

A friend of mine is travelling through Asia and came to visit so we are doing touristy things:

15 Likes

Holy effing blade runner.

8 Likes

I love those “trees”, and the whole complex there. Where else are you taking your friend?

5 Likes

This photo is from a few months ago but sometimes I wonder exactly how cyberpunk-self-aware Singapore really is:

The lack of ambient light meant that none of the photos I took really captured the steam coming off the sign as the recent rain evaporated but I can’t imagine that “rooftop bar in the most urban part of downtown? Check. Neon Chinese characters? Check. Steam pouring off the bulbs when it rains, as a toothless Chinese man tries to sell you electronics or noodles, whatever? Check.” wasn’t a conscious part of the whole aesthetic… :thinking:

11 Likes

National Museum tomorrow. There’s something very pleasing about national museums generally; they’re essentially salesrooms for a national narrative about history and culture that is almost always completely alien to outsiders…

4 Likes

I thought that was Singapore. Never got there. Way too hot in that part of the world for me. That month in Taiwan was enough

3 Likes

I can buy unintentionally creating a cream cake shaped like a vagina. But calling it “Mom’s Cake” tells me they knew what they were doing.

The sun always shines on the better off.

10 Likes

Wait, so that’s a real place? o_o

For many reasons, stuff like this doesn’t exist in the US.

3 Likes

I can understand taco shaped food, or even taco shaped desserts. That’s beyond common.

If someone wants to sell tacos and call them Mom’s Tacos, it probably won’t even register with me unless my inner 12-year-old is out.

If there’s a ball of… something… at one end of the taco, I know what it looks like, but I can still write it off as an unfortunate coincidence.

But if this taco is a creampie… that’s just too much.

7 Likes

Yup:)

11 Likes

WOW!!! that’s nifty.

4 Likes

Walking around the plaza at work, enjoying October-ish weather.

6 Likes

Working a nice little patch of gully forest in Beecroft today.

Lots of critters today; dragonflies in the creek bed, lorikeets in the trees, bush turkeys chasing each other around. Always nice to see the water dragons about.

…although he spooked when I got too close. You can see his head in the water centre-shot as he swims away.

This is what I spent most of the day doing; wiping down the leaves of Oxalis with sponges soaked in glyphosate. A spray won’t kill 'em unless you use really nasty stuff, and they’re too fragile to dig up unless you tear out huge chunks of soil.

Tree ferny goodness.

Bone dry; I’d normally be calf-deep in water standing here. It’s gonna be a monster fire season.

9 Likes

More like “the other day’s view”. I mentioned in the griping thread about leaving the focus off, but thanks to the magic of Sunny 16 I was able to get enough of a DoF to make some of the shots viewable.

This neighbourhood, while not complete yet, was a rice paddy when I came here in 2013.

An interesting development (get it? get it?) in the urban sprawl here in recent years has been the private home on its own plot of land popping up instead of the apartment floor most people go for. The buildings in the distance are a good example. Each floor would have two families on it. The house in the foreground reminds me of many of the prefab suburban homes in Japan.

Ex farm. Soon to be a very busy bar and restaurant block serving the apartments that are also going up all around it.

LotteMart. I would compare it to Walmart but I’m pretty sure the clerks are better paid here. Like back home in the strip malls of the small towns and cities, this place is the anchor business for most everything around it. The big difference between here and Canada is the zoning is largely non existent. Homes, mixed with stores, mixed with restaurants, mixed with schools. It makes city living massively convenient. Even massive cities like Seoul are walkable places.

Because of this there’s not a single “downtown” to go to. Even a small city like Gunsan has a few. The main one where the expats, USAF, and college students frequent is behind the LotteMart here. If it’s not jumping for them they can go down to bar street. If they want to slum it they can go to the old town with all the grannies and sing some trot.

8 Likes

Not a view, but related to my other posts:

Why we does wot we does.

5 Likes

My house right now:

15 Likes

I’m not sure if these are breaking the spirit of the thread or not since it’s people and not places, but here are the better results of today’s photo walk. I’ll limit it to four photos…

One of three times a from-the-hip photo has worked out for me.

As the kids here tend to do, he yelled hello in English as me and my friend were passing. I asked in Korean if I could take his picture. His mom forced him to. She was great.

A lot of times when Korean men stop you for a chat they’re drunk as a skunk and the conversation goes into weird and uncomfortable territory pretty quickly. Thankfully this guy was just being friendly and practicing his English. I have no problem with doing this but many expats tend to hate it. Probably because of the previously mentioned drunks.

If I had a time machine I’d properly set up this shot to keep their faces from being over exposed like this, but I was so surprised that the girls agreed to pose for me that I shot it off hastily so I wouldn’t keep them from their tour of selfies. This was a reminder that I’m not as off-puttingly Quasimodo-like as I tend to tell myself when I’m alone at home.

12 Likes

Did you find the pot of gold? Look under the peahen.

6 Likes

Gecko goodness!

And a skinky friend.

Ridiculous amounts of leaf litter; Sydney is going to go off like a bomb once fire season hits.

15 Likes