Today's view

To me, wild turkeys always look like they’re made of plastic.

I see them up close and don’t think they’re real until they move.

5 Likes

I like watching them walk; you can easily see the dinosaur heritage as they prowl around.

10 Likes

Yours do look more like dinosaurs than the ones near me.

9 Likes

I like watching them fly: in a forest, they fly straight up like helicopters. It’s really amazing to watch.

11 Likes

I’m professionally required to adore them. :wink:

Bush turkeys make fantastic natural regenerators; their constant scratching through the leaf litter suppresses weeds and distributes the seeds of the native plants. The presence of turkeys is a good barometer for the overall health of the forest.

11 Likes

Squirrel in a jewelry store is like bull in a china shop, but smol

18 Likes

Canaduh;

Sometimes I venture out into the cold.

The cold empty streets of Halifax.

But then I rush back to the heat of my laptop running a recent MMO.

Living large.

giphy-1

12 Likes

What’s the temperature there right now?

2 Likes

Computer says 2 degrees. The phone and tablet agrees. I’ve not gone to look at the thermometer in the window.

6 Likes

Brr, cold! It was just below 60 degrees Fahrenheit all day here, and it’s been dropping down to the 30s at night.

Looks like you’re getting proper cold, which we rarely get here.

Stay warm!

4 Likes

Why that’s a balmy Canadian summer!

6 Likes

Yep. I was outside with no coat today, not even a light jacket. Whenever I’m here in Atlanta over the holidays, it’s always like this… Except for Christmas 2010 when it actually snowed!

2C (36F) is about right for this time of year most places I’ve lived.

6 Likes

Only 30°C in Sydney today, but it’s about to get a bit damp…

3 Likes

Acording to google it’s 4 outside with a high of 7 and a low of 1

2 Likes

Wander’s day at work:

Most of my worksites consist of small corridors of forest surrounded by the houses of wealthy people, often with water on one side. The average house price in this suburb is two million dollars; a waterfront location like this raises that price considerably.

Tree-poisoning to improve views (and further raise property values) is a constant problem. So is private encroachment into public land, weed dumping, rubbish dumping, etc. etc.

Much of my job essentially consists of maintaining pleasure gardens for the rich while they try to destroy my work.

17 Likes

Ugh. Rich people suck.

5 Likes

You’ve reminded me of an incident we had about 10 years ago, in which a developer of a new townhouse project in north Kenwood/south Bronzeville hired people to chop down something like 100 trees on city property in the middle of the night because they blocked the homes’ view of the lake. We’re talking full-sized trees, many over 50 and even 100 years old.

I do not know, but it sure seems suspicious that a few years later the Chicago Park District decided to plant over 400 trees in a long strip of land across the train tracks from that very spot (and thus closer to the lake, and right alongside a major road that is always lit and full of traffic, so illegal behavior is harder to get away with). Those trees, as they grow, are in an even better position to block the view from those townhomes. Oops!

10 Likes

Reminds me of a Chicago-area man named Lawrence Tureaud, who did that all by himself.

6 Likes

Oh, yes, I remember that! But while that was horrible, technically the trees were all on his own property, so he wasn’t breaking the law (they’ve since changed the law there).

5 Likes

I made a thing:

Just some knobs to hang things on. First time I ever used a lathe.

15 Likes