Turkey Goes Full Authoritarian, Bans Wikipedia and Twitter

@Lucy_Gothro, excuse me for writing this, but I do enjoy your posts.

3 Likes

Well, no excuse needed, I’m quite glad you enjoy my posts!

2 Likes

Is banning Twitter what it will finally take for Trump to recognize that Edrogan has gone too far?

8 Likes

I would love it if Trump visited Turkey.
“So Mr Trump, we’ve shut down the media, murdered thousands, and I’m president-for life…”
“That’s nice, Erdogan, let me just run my country for a sec by firing up Twitter.”
“Ah, Mr Trump, please remember that Twitter is forbidden here, even for yourself.”
“YOU… YOU AUTHORITARIAN MANIAC!!!”

11 Likes

I can’t deny my curiosity any longer.
Who is the “skinny Rabbi?”

1 Like

Trump doesn’t post for the benefit of Turks, so I doubt it.
Buying Twitter and closing it down, that would get attention.

1 Like

Jesus Christ.

Yes, I was a bit surprised he didn’t spot that. Though I thought that the accepted expression was “Jesus H. Christ!”

2 Likes

I almost typed “Jeshua Ben-Miriam”.

1 Like

OK. That was one option I was considering.

2 Likes

He’s the best-known skinny Rabbi, isn’t he?

I guess Hillel wasn’t technically a Rabbi, so you might be right.

Jesus might have been chubby. After all he didn’t stand on one foot while delivering the Sermon on the Mount.

3 Likes

But the depictions of him while carrying the cross, and on the cross…yeesh. That’s what I was thinking of. Or course, by the time he got to that point, he probably was a bit emaciated, due to his treatment at the hands of the Romans.

2 Likes

What, are you calling Oliver Sacks fat??

1 Like

I didn’t know he was a rabbi as well.

I can’t offhand think of any thin rabbis; one I knew briefly fifty years ago is long dead, and the best known British rabbis - Lionel Blue who sadly died at the end of last year, and Julia Neuberger who is now a baroness were/are not underweight. I don’t think the general public knows who is the chief rabbi of the United Synagogue. Perhaps in the US you have more choice.

I don’t think they were politically correct then. Yeshwa ben Yusuf? Bulgakov refers to him as Yeshwa ha-Notsri, Jesus of Nazareth.

3 Likes

[citation needed]. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

4 Likes

Does he balance the two skinny ones?

2 Likes

Shit, you’re right; I swear I remember him saying “as a Rabbi, I…” in an age-old BBC (?) documentary about the influence of psychedelics on the human mind but I can’t find any sources to corroborate that online.

I stand corrected and slightly confused by my false memories…

2 Likes

Did you by any chance mean Jonathan Sacks? He was the Chief Rabbi of the United Synagogues (i.e. Orthodox) which the Conservative Party persisted in treating as in some magic way the leader of British Jews - which he wasn’t, not by a long, liberal and reform way.

2 Likes

Jeshua ben-Joseph, I’ve seen, as well.

2 Likes