Um.... what.... aka, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read

I wonder if they’ve ever seen the Rape of Leda by the Swan?

1 Like

But that’s OK: it’s right there in the title.

/s

1 Like

tee hee, I know!

1 Like

What happened to astroturf?

4 Likes

It turns out that it was poisonous, being made of recycled tires or otherwise someone’s brilliant idea to turn toxic garbage into cash.

So no surprise. People need to rediscover rocks and actual fucking gardening.

3 Likes

Landscaping, is that what you mean? A lot of people, myself included, are perhaps getting tired of mowing their lawns. For me, it’s the physical effort, using a push mower. For them, it’s probably the cost of maintenance.

2 Likes

We bought a simple doorstop for a door that simply wouldn’t stay open. It was oily on the surface, and smelled terrible, like oil-soaked tires. I had to get a new one that looked like synthetic rubber (brownish), which was probably not recycled unfortunately.

I guess recycling tires is better than this

Companies need to do a better job of choosing what to recycle for particular uses–and clean them better.

2 Likes

Our front doormat is made from recycled tires. It faces east, so it gets plenty of solar heat, but it’s never smelled bad; I got it in…well, before my mom started going downhill mentally & physically, but after I moved in, so between 2008 and 2015. Sugarplum likes it very much, though I’m sure the placement has to do with it, and she does use it as a scratching mat as well.

2 Likes

Interesting! Maybe they cleaned it better. Or being outside that long has given it a chance to air out. The stinky doorstop is in the basement, with the thought that maybe it could be used if it ever aired out. So far that corner of the basement still stinks.

Our dishwasher has “bitumen” (a probably lesser known term for tar) as sound proofing. It stinks too when the dishes are done and we open the door. We always turn the stove exhaust fan on, but who knows what chemicals we’re inhaling despite the fan.

1 Like

Bitumen is mentioned in this video as an adhesive, starting at the point where I copied the vdeo link:

1 Like

If you thought things couldn’t get stupider, someone just held a CO2 reader up to a PC to prove ‘bitcoin mining has zero carbon emissions’

The astonishing claim was made in a video posted to YouTube and Twitter (opens in new tab) which begins with a man in a helmet and hi-vis vest walking through thin, patchy Texas scrub as he tests the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. “We’ve got lots of plants here,” he says, which is the first obvious lie, because quite clearly there are not a lot of plants anywhere nearby. “These plants are consuming CO2 and emitting oxygen, which is fantastic. When we measure CO2 out here, we’re in the green. There are very low levels of CO2.”

At that point, the man in the helmet says that the test is “a great way to establish a baseline,” which will be compared to the CO2 readings inside: “If the number does not go up, then the mining rigs are not emitting CO2.”

8 Likes

SMH.

Too bad people don’t understand that you have to average over the entire earth and for a year to get any meaningful data. I remember a stupid republican congressman (sorry to be redundant) throwing a snowball to prove global warming wasn’t happening.

4 Likes

For emissions caused by their mining rigs, you don’t even need to go to that trouble. A large part of their carbon emissions are going to be fairly local, in the generation of the electricity that runs the rigs and is used to cool them. No worldwide averaging needed. :smiley:

As one of the comments on the youtube video pointed out, by their logic you could also hold a wallet next to their mining rigs and “prove” that they generate zero profit.

7 Likes

52eb9f6d1449316e880103965d44f436d57f7e99

5 Likes

WTAF???

This is worse than those eye drops recalled due to contamination. This is on purpose.

4 Likes

Yep, some idiot in Florida went to a county commission meeting this month to demand an investigation into whether the ISS is a fraud on the American public.

Alleging a massive fraud by a federal agency, with an international conspiracy to fool the entire world… and you think a small county in Florida is the way to go. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Carlson said: “You can’t have a free society if people aren’t allowed to say what they think is true.”

And I think he is truly a colony of termites.

4 Likes

No. Termites are useful compared to him. They’re just termitin’, they don’t know any better. HE knows better, the poor sick bastard.

3 Likes
4 Likes

It took three days to pump millions of litres of water out of the dam, after Rajesh Vishwas dropped the device while taking a selfie.

2 Likes