Um.... what.... aka, this is the dumbest thing I've ever read

“We are devastated to learn that Joey Chestnut has chosen to represent a rival brand that sells plant-based hot dogs rather than competing in the 2024 Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest,” Major League Eating (MLE) said on Tuesday.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Soon the AIs will be voting for us.

4 Likes

Victor Miller is running for mayor of Cheyenne, Wyoming, with an unusual campaign promise: If elected, he will not be calling the shots—an AI bot will. VIC, the Virtual Integrated Citizen, is a ChatGPT-based chatbot that Miller created. And Miller says the bot has better ideas—and a better grasp of the law—than many people currently serving in government.

“I realized that this entity is way smarter than me, and more importantly, way better than some of the outward-facing public servants I see,” he says.

Well, the first part of that sentence definitely looks to be true.

For Miller, this whole initiative started with a public record request. He had requested records from the city anonymously but says he was told by a city employee that anonymous requests were not allowed. “I asked our public records ombudsman if that’s correct, and she said, ‘No, that’s not correct,” he says. Miller was frustrated. “I got to thinking, why don’t they just go by the law? Why don’t they know the law?”

VIC’s proposal to fix Miller’s open records issue was to fire the city attorney and to “rework the city to where it came in line with the state statutes,” he says. “I thought that was a good answer, and reasonable.”

Yes, it totally makes sense to fire the city attorney, who (according to the details provided) wasn’t even involved in that single mistaken(?) response, and “re-work the city”. Very reasonable. Has anyone who actually knows the law been able to quiz “VIC” on various aspects, just to see if we should hold “VIC” to the same standard?

2 Likes

Oh, I think we know who VIC really is.

2 Likes

… no human being could have thought of that :roll_eyes:

3 Likes
3 Likes

First time I’ve ever heard of “counterfeit titanium.”

However, I do recall an incident at the FDA where some tungsten wire was embedded in a titanium hip implant due to a light bulb breaking above the molten metal.

4 Likes

This is old, but it’s making the rounds again because Joe Rogan (of course) gave him a platform for some of this lunacy and more…

Edit: And here’s Neil deGrasse Tyson clearing up Howard’s statements about him “attacking” the idea “with such vitriol” and “trashing” the work of Tesla and others.

3 Likes

Watching someone taking apart a second time Joe Rogan has entertained Terrence Howard’s nonsense on his show, this time with another guy (Eric Weinstein) who seems to be simultaneously telling Howard how wrong he is while also coddling him and telling him why the scientific establishment is a bunch of wrongheaded meanies.

My favorite part at 9:44 when they start talking about why “1x1 = 1” makes sense but "$1 x $1 = " doesn’t make sense:

Eric Weinstein: Dollar times a dollar, that was a problem.
Terrence Howard: That’s the Dewey decimal system.
Eric Weinstein: It’s not the Dewey decimal system.
Terrence Howard: No, the problem comes up with the Dewey decimal system, why a dollar times a dollar can be different values based on different currencies.

:exploding_head:

Also, he repeatedly claims everyone misunderstood him and the “1x1=2” thing was “just a metaphor”… and then immediately goes back to support it as being literally true.

5 Likes

My question would be, “what exactly is a cubic dollar?”

3 Likes

“…And what do library categorization systems have to do with them?”

4 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

That IS a tiny thumb.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Proving yet again what an idiot he is.

5 Likes