Biden Our Time

Right now, Trump might win. If Biden is dumped in a panic at this late date, Trump will definitely win.

There is only one last-minute candidate who would have a chance to beat Trump — Barak Obama.

1 Like

This dissent and uncertainty, aired publicly even, is very very bad. The Democrats are basically giving up the election by doing that. And it irritates me that they’re too stupid to see that.

There’s no plausible alternative.

A lefty like Bernie Sanders or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez? While many of us might love to see that, but they don’t have the confidence, and would lose the rightish-centrist side of the Democrat block.

Another traditional establishment neoliberal that nobody really knows of? That’s no way to get the voters excited. Would decrease turnout, which is how most Democrat elections are lost. And they’d lose the left side of the block.

And Kamala Harris? Well she might be fine but she’s not popular to start with and, as much as I hate to say it, as a black woman, she has two more strikes against her to some voters. You really don’t want your candidate to have three strikes against them from the start in a close race.

So the Democrats calling for Biden to step down, unless they have some miracle to pull out of their asses, are really doing a disservice to the nation. Of course we would all like a better candidate, but we just don’t have one. And in an election this critical, that’s kind of important.

How can they not see that?

5 Likes

The DNC is in August. Biden’s 81. There are a few good candidates and too many half-assed. Whitmer’s my pick. She knows the opposition and can yell at them. Harris might be fine too. Sweaty Palin II (Vance) is just as ludicrous as Palin I.

3 Likes

Again, I should’ve specified that I meant their supporting Biden - not either one of them running for POTUS. I personally have no suggestion for a substitute for Biden.

3 Likes

No. Whitmer is still needed in Michigan. Plus, she and whoever else the Dems might choose aren’t really prepared for the candidacy; I mean how could any of the list of possibles subs for Biden know this was going to happen? And selecting anyone other than Harris is a slap in the veep’s face.

And so much for party loyalty, the bastards. I’m very disenchanted with those donkey’s asses right now. They’re as bad as Trump not getting that he as a person is an affront to true civility, what with their running around like Chicken Little loudly and publicly. Biden needs the support of his party more than ever now - and the Dems don’t seem to get that.

5 Likes
1 Like

Biden drops out of 2024 race

What happens next: Joe Biden wants to pass the baton to Kamala Harris. Here’s how that might work

8 Likes

6 Likes

I’m scared. Really, really scared.

3 Likes

I think it’s fine. I think that the idea that the phrase “presumptive nominee” has legal weight is silly.

I’m curious to see if Harris can bring it properly, but if not, the convention happens in public and should be less horrifying (but still frustrating) than the RNC event. Instead of a parade it will be much better for drawing in eyeballs. The Republicans have decided on the unity of idiocracy but the U.S. is not that.

2 Likes

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4785076-manchin-considers-harris-challenge/

Sen. Joe Manchin (I-W.V.) is considering running against Vice President Harris for the Democratic nomination.

A source familiar with Manchin confirmed that the West Virginia senator is considering reregistering as a Democrat to seek the nomination.

:man_facepalming:

6 Likes
8 Likes

Yes please.

Cynically I suspect it really is “to galvanise Democratic voters” – I think they save issues like this specifically for elections and intentionally stay inactive on it the rest of the time.

One would think, immediately after the debacle of Trump’s first reign of terror, or the overturning of Roe vs. Wade, or any number of more recent shenanigans, that the party would put in the effort to unfuck the Supreme Court (and pass laws guaranteeing rights the Court refuses to protect).

Progressive congresscritters have been trying to update the number of Supremes since at least 2021. It’s not fixed at 9 by the Constitution, it has been updated a few times by Congress in the past. But the efforts have been ignored…

4 Likes

I can see this actually happening, provided it was a solidly liberal court with republicans in power.

4 Likes

It used to give a title and description of the segment. I don’t know why they stopped. Klick this box for the show:

Description:

President Biden Attempts SCOTUS Reform

After a tumultuous Supreme Court term that included the presidential immunity opinion and reporting that showed Justice Thomas received undisclosed gifts and favors from a GOP megadonor, President Biden has proposed changes to the court, including term limits and a code of ethics. Elie Mystal, justice correspondent and columnist for The Nation magazine and host of the podcast, “Contempt of Court with Elie Mystal,” and author of Allow Me to Retort: A Black Guy’s Guide to the Constitution (New Press, 2022), offers legal analysis of the reforms, and talks about how much of a long a shot it is that any of this would make it through Congress.

If you don’t know Elie Mystal, this is a good introduction to him.

3 Likes

I realize “it’s a long shot” but you can’t take any shot at all if you don’t present any remedies for review. Then you take aim at the roadblocks.

2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

5 Likes
2 Likes