(US) Representative Follies

The folly here is DeJoy, of course.

3 Likes

Never mind Nevada, how do you pronounce Illinois?

(Apparently the local name was Inoka, while the Ojibwe called them Ilinwa; the /ll/ is a later change. So /Ilinwa/ would be better than /Eijanwa/ or /Ilinoi/.)

3 Likes

ā€œill-AH-noiseā€ has been the pronunciation I learned.

But never EVER call ā€œLoo-EE-villeā€ ā€œLoo-ISS-villeā€ when in Kentucky. And itā€™s ā€œIP-seh-lan-TEEā€ NOT ā€œYIP-seh -lan-TEEā€, when referring to the hometown of Eastern Michigan University.

Not a locale, but is it ā€œPEE-canā€ or ā€œpeh-CAHNā€?

2 Likes
1 Like

Or, as my grandmother used to call it, ā€œPECK-anā€

3 Likes

LOLOMG, thereā€™s another one, I love it!

1 Like

This guyā€™s the rep fo the district I live in.

3 Likes

Wut?

1 Like

Umā€¦okā€¦

1 Like

It was one of the stupider things to come out of a republicanā€™s mouth biowaste orifice.

2 Likes

Ah, Bach.

Iā€™m really getting fed up with the Jasmine Crockett fans. No, just because Greene did something doesnā€™t make it okay to insult butches. No, just because Trump insulted disabled people doesnā€™t make it okay to insult disabled people.

2 Likes
2 Likes

There I Ruined Congress :joy:

4 Likes

Murrill is expected to file a brief arguing the lawsuit is premature, as schools are not yet displaying the religious text. She argues that means the plaintiffs cannot yet show they are harmed.

When asked about the impacts of the law on members of religious minorities, [Republican Gov. Jeff] Landry advised students not to look at the poster.

ā€œI think weā€™ve forgotten in this country that democracy actually means majority rule,ā€ Landry said.

4 Likes

More complete quote from Landry:

(press representative): Let me ask either of you: for the children who may not believe in God, and see this in the classroom or parents who are upset that it may be in their childā€™s classroom, what -what should they do?

Landry: Well, hereā€™s what I would say. I think weā€™ve forgotten in this country that democracy actually means majority rules. But, some kinda way over the last two decades or so, for whatever reason our government has flipped the script, or the people believe that weā€™ve flipped the script. When you elect people, you elect them by a majority. That majority gets to rule. That does not mean that if you donā€™t like something, you have the right, to impose that which the majority likes. And so what I would say to those parents, is that, if, if, if those posters in school, and they find them so vulgar, to tell the child not to look at it.

I think the Governor needs to spend a few hundred hours in basic civics classes. And that the end of that statement needs to be thrown in the face of anyone attempting school book bans in Louisiana.

7 Likes

I donā€™t think he knows what democracy actually means.

5 Likes

He definitely doesnā€™t know what ā€œmajorityā€ means.

6 Likes

Seriously, itā€™s like the way rich scumbags changed ā€œfree marketā€ to mean ā€œa few monopoliesā€. Majority rule has come to mean ā€œrich scumbags claiming to speak for everyoneā€.

5 Likes

ā€œI own a majority of the shares, so therefore ā€¦ā€ :moneybag:

4 Likes