Victory! šŸŒ·šŸ’„šŸŽ†šŸŽ‰šŸ˜Ž I'm a Rockstar!

Maybe not really a victory, but spring break is next week, so I can finally get caught up on grading. Yay!

13 Likes

Last Thursday or so Ubuntu pushed some updates to my computer and I installed them.

One of them was Compiz, which gave me pause, because every time thereā€™s an update It tends to forget my settings. I forged ahead and the update went in without any error messages. I shut down my computer and quite frankly kind of forgot about it.

Saturday I turned on my computer to do some homework for a course Iā€™m taking and discovered that the desktop manager was screwed up. No status bar, no title bars on any of the windows, most shortcut keys for window management not working, no way to get to the standard menu. fortunately I run a Cairo menu as well as the standard one, and just hide the standard one, instead of just removing it all together. This meant that I could launch applications and switch between them using the Cairo menu.

There are a lot of reasons why this can happen. Everything from needing to reinstall or upgrade video drivers, to needing to fix settings, to bad settings files, to lots of other things. I tried a lot of things, which miraculously at least didnā€™t make anything worse, and finally hit upon the correct fix tonight. Everything is back to normal. Kudos to the Ubuntu forums and AskUbuntu.

Now I just need to figure out why my router isnā€™t mounting my NAS drives anymore, even though nothing obvious has changed on that front. I need to turn everything off and then turn everything on again. Iā€™ve been doing a lot of on-line stuff at home lately (er, besides reading the Ubuntu forums), so I havenā€™t had a chance yet.

8 Likes

Selling another coaching package tomorrow!!!

11 Likes

Well, not a rock star - but a model!

Iā€™ll be modeling for people at a place called Scribblz Art in Utica, MI. Itā€™s an artistsā€™ bar. Anyhow, tomorrow night for three hours give-or-take, people will be drawing me!

Which is fine, because I wonā€™t be wearing my glasses. It seems that if I canā€™t see people, I donā€™t give a good goddamn if they can see me or not, lol.

15 Likes

NOT a barā€¦very wrong about that. But definitely an artistsā€™ SPACE! I had a wonderful time! They loved my poses, and I hope to go back and do it again. When pics come up - if they do - Iā€™ll share them here.

12 Likes

Iā€™m practically gobsmacked.

As mentioned in Becoming Unlimited I had finally opted to jump to a new carrier after forever with ATT.

Step 1 had been to port my wifeā€™s old number to her Google Voice number. That took about a day to fully work through the system, but call her old number and her new phone rings.

Step 2 came today when New Phone arrived. First new ā€œFlagshipā€ phone Iā€™ve bought since an iPhone 5. Conversion was quick and number was ported over in under 15 minutes.

Then came the Victory part. I assumed I was going to have to go through a bunch of crap to close out the ATT account and so I log into the account (in the vain hope of doing so on line) to

ā€œYour Account Has Been Closed at your Request.ā€

Still not sure I trust 'em though

10 Likes

They have to be more trust-worthy than FBook.

7 Likes

I can make calls on my smartphone now!

After long phone time the other day, and messing with it on and off yesterday. I have no idea what finally worked, but it did.

10 Likes

Have you ever seen this?

6 Likes

I could probably do that on mine, but it never seems to come up.

7 Likes

Top: Me drawn in ten minutesā€™ time.
Bottom: Me painted in 20 minutesā€™ time. Both by the same artist.

14 Likes

Iā€™m always unusually impressed by watercolors because any time I tried to use them I just ended up with the paper being a wrinkly and soggy brown mess, even when I was experimenting will all kinds of combinations of paints, water levels, and papers. Even though itā€™s not my thing, itā€™s an emotive aesthetic that canā€™t really be matched by other media, and I can respect that.

6 Likes

Iā€™m going to get back into itā€¦waitā€¦would someone who hides their fondness for ā€œwater sportsā€ be considered to be in the ā€œwater closetā€?

(I was going to type ā€œWCsā€ for ā€œwatercolorsā€, but I realized that it could be taken to stand for ā€œwater closetā€. Thatā€™s how my mind works. Now, back to the regular post!)

Anyhow, when I get tired of painting with acrylics/run out of what Iā€™m using now, Iā€™ll probably go back to watercolors.

9 Likes

I find myself returning to the WC more often than I would like.

Old age gets to us all, I guessā€¦

9 Likes

By a different artist, same session.

11 Likes

I MADE IT TO SPRING BREAK :tada::fireworks::sparkler::rice_scene::tada:

14 Likes

Made it through open heart surgery and the first critical week of recovery. I will probably be released from the hospital tomorrow. Thanks goes mostly to a whole slew of medical professionals and Libbey.

Iā€™m walking around without direct assistance, slowly, most of the tubes and wires have been removed, and have no serious issues. Iā€™m over the hump, with much less uncertainty and breathing more easily (literally).

26 Likes

YAY!!!
Ā 

12 Likes

Iā€™m glad surgery and recovery went well, and I hope you keep getting better. All the best things in the world for you, your medical pros, and for Libbey.

11 Likes

Thank goodness your post was not in the Piercing the Veil thread. Glad that you are still with us and hopefully heart on its way to full health.

11 Likes