Victory! 🌷💥🎆🎉😎 I'm a Rockstar!

I completed two TODO lists today, can one of y’all give me permission to go work at home? I feel weirdly reticent to just go.

14 Likes

When I quit my last j.o.b. to go freelance, I realized (too late) that I could have taken far more liberties to keep myself from burning out, and it would have been fine. I didn’t because I was socialized to “follow the rules” which can absolutely suck.

You have my permission to go and finish whatever you need to, at home. But, it only matters whether you give yourself permission. Two do-lists sounds like a day’s work to me!

12 Likes

Yes, go work at home. Two lists is enough for anyone.

10 Likes

I won a research award I didn’t know I was being considered for.

I had to be up too early to shower, so all the photos of me accepting it are garbage, though.

17 Likes

Congratulations!!!

10 Likes

Update on the bed - it should be home next week. So, it just get better.

The designer is going to doing a shou-sugi ban treatment on the live edge. That’s where the wood is charred. Lets see just how cool that treatment is on walnut, shall we, ?

10 Likes

And here is the cad drawing. There’s a piece that dropped out of the drawing. The area of the headboard behind the mattress will be some kind of filler wood so it will be solid in the back but all the cool wood will be above the mattress height. Total height of this is 5 feet.

10 Likes

Oh god yes walnut.

8 Likes

Right?

Actual wood. Gonna be amazing.

12 Likes

I love that the design emphasises the handcrafted aspects, but that there is also a CAD drawing. That’s what I call the best of both worlds.

:smiley:

8 Likes

I got so lucky with this guy that he is so skillful and has such an artistic vision. I was inspired by a bed that was sold by a small furniture chain that has a store in Atlanta, which is only a couple of hours away. I really liked that one but I have never seen a store with such terrible reviews in my life.

I have a bunch of floating shelves and a beautiful coffee table he has made me and they all have this element of being really meticulous but also hand done feeling, like he put a little movement to the edges of the slats on my coffee table, which can’t be done by a machine. I’m his last customer; he works full time helping to combat sex trafficking and has taken a new full-time gig that will move him away from here. I feel sooo lucky to have found him because I didn’t spend that much relative to what good furniture costs. I mean, the coffee table was $300 which is - seriously, go to Ashley and you’ll spend that for something that isn’t even pretty. And I got this great hand made piece that has such style. This bed is going to be beyond.

12 Likes

Another VICTORY! I had my friend/business collaborator here this weekend to talk about all our ideas and what we want to focus on. I also introduced him around to the business scene and Chattanooga in general. He’s going to move here (there is also some personal stuff going on where it’s wise for him to get away from a situation where he is currently living, so it’s a little a push and a little of a pull for him to come here).

But that is not the victory, though it’s nice, because we have been discussing it for a little bit.

What’s really cool is that during the course of our visit, one of the people we spoke with suggested I speak at this event 1,000,000 Cups. It’s a thing in the entrepreneur community all over the place - people present their ideas and get people to ask questions about what they are doing and make connections.

So I got invited to pitch the next day at this thing - they had a last minute drop out. I put together a pitch deck. It took me until 3 am to get this done. And then I went and pitched. Well, afterward about 4 people came up and they were all so cool and put me in touch with so many great people or were just great people themselves. One of them is connecting me to an investor, or he can get me to an investor, and that call is scheduled for next week.

So that is badass! and what was really the best about it was that I finally feel I was able to communicate my idea to people who aren’t yoga people. It’s been a big goal to figure out how to talk about my idea more clearly, and I can tell by the response I’m on the right track.

The business is really going to the next level here in Chattanooga. I totally love the startup community here.

17 Likes

Wow, that’s awesome!

Congratulations!

8 Likes

Thank you.

8 Likes

So cool!

9 Likes

Outstanding news!

itcrowd-moss-clapping

12 Likes

Bed in progress. Damn this is sweet.

15 Likes

I decided against bowties across the center river because I really love the horizontal flow of the wood grain. Also with the low base, the minimal but polished finish on the wood, the shou-sugi ban on the river edge, I think it all kind of screams Japanese design and doesn’t need the little extra flourish. I’ve been wanting to make sure it doesn’t look rustic or country since I’m in Tennessee and these live edge things are in here but not nearly with such an elegant hand to it as this one has.

9 Likes

Lovely work.

7 Likes

Sounds like that worked out really well.

Do you happen to remember what words they used to tell you that? I’m just curious how that conversation went, since I’ve never been part of one like that.

7 Likes