Victory! 🌷💥🎆🎉😎 I'm a Rockstar!

Remeber to get a decent lens, too!

6 Likes

I’ll add others, but the Nikon 24-120 will suffice for now. I moved from an Olympus (because of film era loyalty) to a Nikon, so everything is just a tiny bit different. :smile:

6 Likes

I see. My professional camera since 2011 has been an Olympus E-P2. But now I’m tempted to migrate to Fuji.

5 Likes

This is MY garage. It’s on MY property. Yes, kids - I’m now a homeowner!
But that’s not the true point. I’ve never owned a car and had a garage in which to park it

15 Likes

Congratulations!

10 Likes

Great news! I’m envious. My :oncoming_automobile: gets covered with :maple_leaf: :fallen_leaf: and :eagle: :poop:.

And tree pollen, but there’s no emoji for that. Yet.

7 Likes

Thanks!

Yeah, the yard next door to the south (this photo was taken facing west) has a lovely dogwood tree that you can’t see in the photo, and it sheds on my driveway each year, so I know what you mean.

6 Likes

As I always say, the first sign of spring is scraping the turdus migratorius off the windshield.

6 Likes

First piece of solo-authored software published today!

15 Likes

Whats it do?

7 Likes

Regrettably, a specific enough subset of analyses in an already specific subfield of biology that telling you is likely to dox me.

But something necessary!

12 Likes

. . . . and the second, and the third, and the . . . .

7 Likes

So it’s written in R?

So it’s written in R?

7 Likes

Hahahah, yes. I have a couple collaborative Python packages and I’m a co-developer on some C++ stuff, but this is my first solo author work, in R.

I actually really like it! I like how much infrastructure R has to support both code review and biology. I didn’t like R much prior to this, but I do now. I’m increasingly disillusioned with elitism in other language communities.

7 Likes

Haha, funny response @LearnedCoward

5 Likes

Almost done with grades… got everyone toted up, and am waiting for a couple of late papers…

9 Likes

:scream:

Yep. It supports Markdown format, so it’s possible for the code to contain its own documentation. Some of the graphics capabilities are really slick, provided you understand them. I don’t, but I steal from people who do.

It also has a lot of support among biostatisticians. Everyone else calls it clunky old 40-year-old tech that nobody understands,* but it can be really slick once you get around the weirdness. It’s like MATLAB, but more so.

*like I’m one to talk. I’m an EE. We use MATLAB because we do a lot with math and algorithms and simulations but for some reason are never taught to program properly. Also, everything we do uses matrices and complex numbers, so MATLAB does that a lot slicker than a bunch of for loops in C++. C++ doesn’t even have a standard format for matrices. I would personally rather use Python than MATLAB, which changes from year to year to year, but EEs would never adopt that because we don’t know how to program /s

Indeed.

6 Likes

Got all the grades in with a few hours to spare! w00t!

11 Likes

At the store today, I was standing behind a lady with a the cutest little daughter. She had a mass of curls, big brown eyes, fat cheeks, and was just so very tiny. So I waved at her when she looked at me, as you do, because CUTE BABY. I ended up moving to a different line to check out and ended up walking out just behind mom and baby… as she walked away, the baby looked back and saw me, and waved back at me! SOOOOO CUTE!!!

14 Likes

I have introduced Weird Al to the children of China.

That is all.

13 Likes