Voter Suppression Alert 🚨

3 Likes
5 Likes

I suspect the upcoming elections will hinge on:

• voter suppression

• Nazi terror attacks-- another major attack before the election would hurt them, one during the election seems more likely.

• voting machines, hacking, and bugs.

4 Likes

I worry about groups of white thugs hanging around polling places, though I guess that’s included in voter suppression.

5 Likes

Random white thugs hanging about are bad, but it’s the thugs with badges who are more problematic. White cops running warrant/ticket checks on Black voters is an old standard.

Also expect ICE to be in heavy attendance around voting booths in Latinx neighbourhoods.

7 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/03/663937578/judge-rules-against-georgia-election-law-calling-it-a-severe-burden-for-voters

The debate over voter suppression in the midterm elections extends to multiple states. In North Dakota the Republican-controlled government has implemented a controversial new law requiring residents to show identification with a current street address. But as Ruben Kimmelman reported for NPR, “Many residents of Native American reservations — who tend to vote for Democrats — do not have street addresses. They have Post Office box numbers, and those don’t qualify.”

In Iowa, the Republican Secretary of State is phasing in a new voter ID law, and in Dodge City, Kansas, a federal judge has denied a request to open a new polling site far from the city center that advocates say would put Latino voter turnout at risk. The location of the new polling site would have been more than a mile away from the nearest bus stop, making travel there difficult for some potential voters.

7 Likes

I can absolutely see this scaring someone with less-than-great critical thinking skills. What gets me (and tells me that that’s exactly who they’re aiming at) is the way “scientists” is highlighted on the cover. Somehow implying that scientists are the last people you should trust with your data.

No, that would be corporations and political entities.

9 Likes

We got something very similar this week… Hm. Not going to stop us from going to the polls, of course… the one we got, I don’t think, highlighted scientists in the same way…

This is what we got:

7 Likes

To me, that highlighting seems part and parcel of the discredited of anyone educated and thus overly liberal.

Especially with it going out in Texas.

4 Likes

I assume they’re trying to intimidate non-Republican voters. And I imagine general fear of retaliation is higher among non-Republican voters, for obvious reasons. But I imagine fear of scientists is higher among Republican voters…?

2 Likes

The weird thing is, this is only scary if the government were going to go after people who hadn’t voted for them.

Say, like what happened to dissenting Germans when Hitler got elected.

3 Likes

Hitler didn’t get elected. Hindenburg got elected, as the man who could stop Hitler, compromised by appointing Hitler chancellor, supported the Enabling Act, and then died leaving Hitler with absolute power.

Fuck Hindenburg.

In retrospect, a vote for Thälmann the Stalinist would have been the least worst option.

Sorry, but I’m sick of the idea that these people-- Hitler, Trump, etc-- are “democratically elected” and in a lot of cases it’s provable that they weren’t/aren’t.

5 Likes

Hitler was made chancellor in January 1933. The last federal election was after that, in March.

There are eyewitness accounts talking about how irregular and undemocratic that vote was, how many people voted under fear of reprisal. People gathered in the town square and raised their hand when their preferred candidate’s name was called, how stormtroopers bullied people.

So no, not democratic, but there was a fucking vote. I never said anything about “democratically elected” – you did.

5 Likes

And hundreds of other people keep saying that Hitler and/or Trump were “democratically elected” so I feel I need to address that.

2 Likes

Okay.

Would you mind not making the person you’re replying to an unwitting member of this other group you’re actually replying to?

3 Likes

This is from 2016 and I don’t know how much of it still applies, but jeez Texas was making it hard to register people. All kinds of scary ways to mess up and get in legal trouble during a registration drive.

@navarro

5 Likes

3 Likes

So that includes rigged polls, of course, which are equally illegal. Of course. /s

9 Likes