Wanderthread Redux (Part 1)

Fucking delusional.

1 Like
6 Likes

That’s not it.

The possibilities that occur to me:

• she’s deliberately trying to provoke Trump for the lulz,
  • she cares more about how the result of the 2016 election was unfair to her rather than its wider consequences, or
  • she’s spinning 2016 in a way that preserves her ego.

None of them are particularly good looks, given how bad things have gotten in the wake of 2016, but I doubt she’s “delusional.”

4 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

When will Hillary Clinton feel OK with losing to that guy? Approximately never.

2 Likes

You could argue that those last two are common avenues to delusion.

2 Likes

Isn’t the DNC operating without any restriction like that? The point being that the money still has a channel.

2 Likes

Yup.

Note also that Warren is only managing her “no corporate money” primary campaign because she gathered a fuckton of corporate donations to her previous Senate campaign and then transferred that money to her primary warchest.

Warren is a faux-left trojan horse for the DNC. She’d lose to Trump, but even if she somehow won all you’d get is Obama/Clinton Mk3.

4 Likes

It seems more likely that Biden would be Obama/Clinton Mk3.

I have no illusions that a Warren presidency would be as progressive as a Sanders one, but I can’t see any world where she’s not, at least marginally, to the left of Biden

4 Likes

I have no confidence I can pick who could beat Trump. I just don’t have a sense of that.

Which means that in the run-up to 2020 I’ll probably gain a bunch of weight, lose a bunch of weight, or cover a lot of miles exercising.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Probably nobody. As I’ve said many times before, fascists are counting the votes.

Bernie could possibly do it if the anti-Trump opposition united behind him, but that ain’t gonna happen. If he gets the nom, he’ll be fighting both parties and the media all the way to election day. They’re gonna give him the McGovern treatment.

(the one bright spot is that it appears that Bernie is aware of this. McGovern was naive enough to believe that the Dem establishment would not deliberately throw an election to Nixon)

None of the other Dem candidates have any chance, IMO. They’ll draw the regular middle-class Dem tribal supporters, but that alone will not be enough to overcome the tilted playing field.

The working class masses simply will not come out for yet another corrupt imperialist, no matter how much the liberals scream about “orange man bad”. And without them, the Dems lose.

1 Like
5 Likes

Pretty much NO woman would win against trump, because we live in a patriarchal society that abhors uppity bitches… After all, nothing is more critical than soothing masculine egos.

1 Like

True.

OTOH, there are plenty of other obnoxiously patriarchal societies that have elected women as leaders (Pakistan and India, most obviously). A woman of quality as a candidate for a major party is still an untried experiment in the US; it’ll be interesting when it finally occurs.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

who needs a strongman government when you can have a strong woman!

https://web.archive.org/web/20100501191459/http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/dec/30/pakistan.world

2 Likes