Wanderthread

Not really a surprise.

Two days old, though.

1 Like

Maggie ramping up hate for Muslim “traitors”:

Buried that one in a big wash of flood news.

She’s doing most of her work through retweets. Every time she puts up a direct tweet, she gets mobbed by incredulous (but increasingly clued-in) readers.

1 Like

Matty Y framing the debate…

Vichy. Dean is looking for scapegoats to throw to the fascists.

I shared that sentiment (not as extreme) until moving to Texas, but I am very vocal in saying the north is living in glass houses now. People still hate to admit how red northern states have gotten.

2 Likes

I’d still say that the Confederacy is at the heart of American fascism.

But what the sneer-at-Southern-hicks folks failed to get is that:

• The Confederacy was always an idea more than a place. The North wasn’t 100% abolitionist and the South wasn’t 100% slaver. The border states were 50/50 or worse, and Copperheads were everywhere from California to Boston.

&

• The slaver leadership weren’t hicks, they were bloody aristocrats.
1 Like

Don’t forget that industry caused massive white flight north.

1 Like

Pre-existing slaver sentiment in the north, plus a post-war diaspora of the scum up through the Midwest.

Some as workers chasing industry, but most importantly some as capitalists fleeing the war’s devastation. It’s always the rich bastards. They’ve got more leverage.

Maggie’s latest:

Fuck.

Clock’s ticking. The left has to keep picking up the pace.

Remember: any scene of antifa violence you see from a biased source is going to be edited to alter the “who started it” calculation.

You can imagine how a Trump source would cut and caption that.

i’ve mentioned this before, maybe not here, but certainly at the other place: there’s a biography of william lloyd garrison called “all on fire” that i recommend to anyone interested in both a history of abolition and a history of northern resistance to abolition. it’s in my stack of books i re-read from time to time.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/surfbordt/status/901893887492587520

Ever read McPherson’s Battle Cry of Freedom?

1 Like

Global mainstream media hasn’t woken up yet; they’re still reporting business as usual.

No idea when/if they’ll admit that the American Revolution is already happening.

Actually, I’m unsure about CNN. They might still be doing the counterproductive Liberal thing instead of being actual fascists like the NYT.

Haberman is backing off, trying to restore a bit of credibility by posting stories that are slightly critical of Trump.

Don’t take this one seriously, this is mostly just me diverting some paranoia, but:

They’ve stood down the fleet (“operational pause”). Globally.

Those destroyer collisions were very weird, the Reichsmarine were the least nazified branch of the German military, and the Trumpists will have put some thought into potential military resistance.

Hmmn.

Kerfuffle inside the DSA:

http://www.dsa-la.org/dsa_los_angeles_steering_committee_statement_on_danny_fetonte & https://medium.com/@pplswar/detroitdsa-on-the-danny-fetonte-scandal-4a0258f445cc

I have no idea which side of that is right. Fetonte just won the vote, though.