Well, fuck

I could see some dogs loving getting the attention while being groomed… but that depends on the dog. (I once had a shi tzu who did not like having his feet attended to…and since his fur clumped and tangled if left alone, he needed it. It took time and patience to get him accustomed to it, but I wouldn’t say he ever enjoyed it.)

I don’t see any real point in the wilder styling or dye jobs, though as long as the color is temporary and non-toxic, I guess it’s not too terrible. But those poor dogs in the article… :cry: I hope they get the help they need.

5 Likes

not sure if this goes here or not, but “well, fuck” is what i said after reading it, so…

9 Likes

This is just horrible.

4 Likes

Look, my own father told me I looked “sexy” when I was 12 years old and dressed up in what I thought was simply a nice outfit. And it wasn’t even revealing - polyester flared slacks with embroidery on the front of the flares, a nice top and Mickey Mouse patent leather shoes with fancy lattice straps and a gold-plated Mickey silhouette pip on each shoe.

And it happens at school. I even remember one of my Black classmates in 8th grade having shoelace jeans, the kind that tied up the back; someone (might’ve been me) asked her about that and she said that it was "so my lover can come up behind me ".

My fifth grade teacher liked me to sit on his lap and he called me Sweet Pea. I had no problem with it or with the fact that he was Black. No one ever said a thing about it, other than maybe a few teacher’s pet snarks.

Or the “fast girls” who always seem to be Happy Hookers but in reality they’re scared as hell like the rest of us, especially the non-pretty ones. Hell, if you’re not considered “pretty”, it doesn’t matter; you’ll get the “Oh, but I think you’re beautiful!”

I agree that these things are ultra-magnified on female child actors, but they’re not the only ones who go through it.

7 Likes
3 Likes

But what about “The Graduate”?:
Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

5 Likes

And that is why we’re in the mess we’re in.

3 Likes

well, to be fair, when plastic was first invented, it was meant for people to take care of it and use it basically forever, a durable, easy to shape, easy to clean thing – but then it became so cheap to make that people started treating it as disposable, and here we are.

7 Likes

I think people got that mindset from the oil companies (and all the companies between them and the grocery stores) pushing the idea. And the big lie was that it was all recyclable, so people (even those who should have known better :raising_hand_man:) went along with it.

6 Likes

Like this?

5 Likes

I read either that or a similar article.

What they need to do is make them recyclable the way glass soda bottles were (are?). Pay a deposit and then take the empty bottle back to the store. I don’t know if they can be reused, though – glass can be cleaned and decontaminated easier than plastic. Then you have all the transport problems.

I drink a lot of diet coke, but instead of plastic bottles I get the aluminum cans, which can be recycled pretty easily, I think. What I’d really like is to have it piped to my house. :smile:

6 Likes

And even in the late 1800s, aluminum was rare and more valuable than gold. But half a century later and it was cheap and disposable aluminum foil and cans. At least it’s easily recyclable and still valuable afterward.

It is estimated that Americans throw away nearly 1 billion dollars a year in wasted aluminum. The aluminum industry pays nearly 800 million dollars a year for recycled aluminum since it is so versatile.

5 Likes

Mind-boggling that so much aluminum is just thrown away, to eventually (in who knows how many years) be turned back into sand.

3 Likes

Even sand is better than microplastic contamination.

4 Likes

Indeed!

3 Likes
8 Likes
2 Likes

I feel this way quite often.

2 Likes

Sideways, stuck, adrift… and yet, solidly grounded? :wink:

6 Likes