Well, fuck

There have been so many anti-immigrant and anti-refugee attacks in the past few years. And the politicians keep scaremongering. Some of these attacks go after people they think are part of the “conspiracy,” that’s why that guy attacked the synagogue in Pittsburgh. As long as the politicians keep scaremongering, this seems inevitable…

9 Likes

I got phished yesterday. I think my bank account is safe, but not my personal data. I cancelled my card, requested a replacement card, made a fraud alert, etc. I set a freeze with Equifax, but can’t get through the Experian and Transunion setups.

I am also struggling with bloating, diarrhea, chills, and shaking. I think I got glutened.

7 Likes
5 Likes

My first thought after skimming through and getting the basic gist: Um, well - I guess I’m gonna be considered unsuccessful. (but my art will be worth soooo much after I’m dead!)

My second thought: What would Frank Zappa say?

Don’t wealthy people have pet artists anymore?

5 Likes

I had an electromyography (EMG) test done on my arms yesterday. I think that it’s Luigi Galvani’s dream come true.

The test does involve needles piercing the skin deeply enough to send a slight electric charge to the nerves to determine their condition. As it turns out, I have mild carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. And probably due to my sensory-processing disorder (SPD), it feels worse than it would to a less sensitive person. And now my arms are sore. But it was neat to actually hear my nerves through the bioelectric signals being transmitted to the modified lappie-looking PC.

7 Likes

I witnessed that test being given to someone with neuropathy once. It didn’t look very enjoyable.

5 Likes

Still can’t get through on Experian. Apparently I have to download an app, and take a photo from that app, to set up my account. I can’t use a photo I’ve taken elsewhere. I tried their customer service pain number a few days ago, but it doesn’t work, and pain calls started this whole mess.

2 Likes
6 Likes

What an incredible lapse of basic ethics, not to mention medical ones.

4 Likes
3 Likes

…found dead.

The office of Charleston County Coroner Bobbi Jo O’Neal said that Barnett, who had been living in Louisiana after retiring from Boeing, died “from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.”

Given their record, I wouldn’t put it past Boeing to arrange a Pinkerton-style murder.

If you can read washingtonpost.com, there are more details there (e.g., Barnett claimed some breathing masks would not work in an emergency). Don’t every fly on a Boeing plane if you can help it. The company deliberately ignored terrible violations of safety.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2024/03/12/boeing-whistleblower-dead-john-barnett/

6 Likes

So. I don’t know about anyone else out there, but I and many other poverty-stricken folks are going to lose out on having a free cell phone program. This is because funding for the Affordable Connectivity Program has run out and the US Congress, in its infinite ability to fuck things up, hasn’t included it in the budget. Again, the poor get screwed because the current economic-political situation is rigged to benefit the wealthy. But at least Comcast/Xfinity is still going to offer Internet Essentials at $9.95 a month.

5 Likes

Life without wireless & internet connectivity sucks in the modern world.

When I went through my financial lows a couple years back I often had to juggle bills, skipping an internet payment one month so I could keep my cell phone going, then paying the cell the next month while letting the internet die for a few days.

There are some low-cost cell providers out there, like Hello Mobile, for as low as $5/mo, but you must have an unlocked phone for which they provide a SIM card.

4 Likes

If you have internet, can your phone use VOIP?

4 Likes

I have no clue. And for all I know, the critters in Congress could actually be cool and vote to fund the ACP.

Addendum: I just called and left a voicemail for Rep. John James (R) of the 10th district in Michigan, which happens to be where I live. I urge…no, I beg of you to please, please, PLEASE contact whoever is s’posed to be representing you in Congress!

And it’s not just me and my son - millions of others for whom this service is vital will be cut off. Plus, the GOP stands to lose on social-media clicks if folks in their base don’t have cell phones, lol.

4 Likes

The income I get barely covers the electricity, natural gas, water and internet bills.

4 Likes

FWIW, you can get a free VOIP number via Google Voice, and it can route through both your computer (if it has a microphone/speaker system, or if you can attach a wired or wireless earphone setup) and your cell phone.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for that info! I did call my Congresscritter, John James & left a message that really said how I feel about the issue w/no cuss words, lol!

4 Likes

4 Likes

When I first heard of this on NPR this morning I wondered if this was a bridge I’d gone over when driving up I-95 (black dashed line). But it wasn’t.

Gad what a disaster.

4 Likes