Well this is interesting

5 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

On October 17th 1814, eight people died in the London Beer Flood; a vat ruptured in a brewery creating a 15-foot tidal wave. Where were the men to drink the casualties to safety?

12 Likes
12 Likes

Is there a Massachusetts Molasses Massacre Memorial?

5 Likes

This was sort of stolen from that time that Latter Day Saints Hospital in Salt Lake City wanted to rename itself, so some wag came up with Mountain Meadows Massacre Memorial Medical Center. That didnā€™t fly for some reason.

5 Likes
2 Likes

http://languagehat.com/luwian-hieroglyphic-inscription-deciphered/

Okay, why doesnā€™t this one get the box? ^

6 Likes

This is just how I walk. When I wear most shoes I get hip and back pain. I wear flat shoes (adidas makes great shoes that look like sneakers but only have a rubber sole - no insole at all) and also Logging Boots have a good inch plus heel that lets me keep my weight on the balls of my feet. My shoes wear and fail at the balls both sole and sidewalls - because theyā€™re all made for heelwalking!

4 Likes

Does Randall Munroe follow this site? Is he a member? Because that would be awesome.

6 Likes

Well I suppose I did start this thread with xkcd.

1 Like

That keeps happening. It used to happen on the other place too (donā€™t know if it still does).

Iā€™d say even if Munroe isnā€™t an official lurker (or hey, participant for all we know), he reads some of the same web sites a lot of us do.

3 Likes

Nahā€¦itā€™s everyone else who reads him and then create their blog posts in response!!

5 Likes

I didnā€™t know he was citing the Molasses Flood when I made my post.

I find it happens the other way around ā€“ an article gets posted somewhere and then the cartoon gets posted within days.

4 Likes

Maybe Randallā€™s your Tyler Durden?

5 Likes

Given that Iā€™m a woman who lives in a different country, that sounds way more complicated than Tyler Durden.

8 Likes

I see three possibilities:

1. @gadgetgirl can see the future, at least a day or so in advance.
  2. @gadgetgirl has early access, authorized or unauthorized, to Randall Munroeā€™s posts.
  3. @gadgetgirl is Randall Munroe. :star_struck:

edit: I see @strokeybeard suggested possibility 3 before I did. Does this mean @strokeybeard is @gadgetgirl? No, wait, does this mean I am @strokeybeard? :confused:

12 Likes

I do wind up seemingly doing that sometimes, but itā€™s random and mostly feels like me imagining things until it happens. But that belongs more on the Piercing the Veil thread.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve never seen any of you in the same room together.

9 Likes