Well this is interesting

Didn’t want to mention it but there is the rumour that @gadgetgirl is secretly a stick figure.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that make it easier to buy clothes!

6 Likes

11 Likes
5 Likes

The term ‘holistic’ refers to my conviction that what we are concerned with here is the fundamental interconnectedness of all things. – Dirk Gently

6 Likes
4 Likes
12 Likes

Step on a crack…

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/philipmould/status/927542755500359680

9 Likes

Woah.

3 Likes

It’s been known for a long time that leaf-cutter ants cultivate fungi for food. A story I had missed, though, is that there are also ants that grow them as blinds for ambushing prey.

5 Likes

This is what it looks like now:

And this is the Roundhouse addition – originally built in the 1880s by Daniel Burnham – which has just finished an exhibition but is now closed for the winter because it still doesn’t have heating:

9 Likes

I love the DuSable Museum! It’s one of my favorite Chicago museums, along with the Historical Society.

If anyone’s in Chicago and only has time to see one museum, I recommend foregoing the Field Museum and coming here instead.

3 Likes

http://languagehat.com/whatsit/#comment-2795719

It is said that a mathematical paper by a non-English-native author arrived at the journal editor’s desk with a number of instances of stricken mass distribution, a hitherto unknown term. Puzzled, the editor contacted the author, who drew his attention to a sentence in one of the referee’s reports: “The term ‘generalized mass distribution’ is no longer used; the word ‘generalized’ should be stricken.”

Alas, the story is not quite true, for Dr. Google reveals that the paper was published with five instances of stricken still in it.

6 Likes

That’s great :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

See also dawizard:

5 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Some truly bizzare comments below the line-- crystaline trees, growing on the core, into the mantle?

2 Likes

Cool! Just like in Minecraft!

(sorry)

4 Likes