Well this is interesting

I keep hearing rumors… She’s probably the hold up, since she’s in semi-retirement. I think if she said yes, he’d hop on a plane to England yesterday, ready to record with her. He’s a true fan boy. In the clip, he says the two most influential artists for him are her and Bob Marley…

4 Likes

She’s always been in semi-retirement. She records sometimes, but I don’t think she’s ever really toured.

Apparently, only once in 1979:

She stopped recording for a long time after her kid was born, for about a decade, then she put out Ariel and then 50 Words for Snow, so she’s at least started recording again semi-regularly.

But certainly, she can invite Big Boi up to her lovely estate to hang out for a month or so and make some music. I mean, this could save the world, right? :wink:

4 Likes

it is my dim recollection that he has reached out to her but no response
cat hmph

5 Likes

That makes me sad and angry… it makes me sangry.

angrybubblegum

8 Likes

This posted on Wil Wheaton’s Tumblr today is both amazing and disturbing.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what to make of that.

2 Likes

I’m not certain that I completely believe it, but I am nevertheless suitably impressed.

Considering the picture, does Max want to be Janis Joplin when she grows up?

My reaction was twofold - how awesome is that kid, who clearly has a happy future totally jamming up the culture… and the school entirely overreacted to some uberweirdness.

Maybe she just has her own sweet style and I’m digging it.

Incidentally, speaking of non-conforming kiddos, when I dropped my daughter off at school, there was a boy going in (probably 4 or so) wearing a floofy skirt and pink rain boots!

6 Likes

I wasn’t trying to be negative. It’s just the glasses are a dead ringer for a pair that Janis was frequently photographed in, and I can somehow picture her wearing the hat. Thought it was worth mentioning.

3 Likes

No worries… It could be. It also could be that she has no idea who Joplin was?

Either way, she seems a cool kid.

4 Likes

I don’t think I spend that much on bread in a year. So there’s that.

3 Likes

I guess don’t click here! :wink:

5 Likes

Well if I can get paid for the bread…

2 Likes

I thought it was hilarious. I hope she uses her powers for good.

6 Likes

Some very expensive sandwiches.

3 Likes

At an average of about $28 per slice of bread, you’re damn skippy.

5 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

h/t to languagehat. the book is expensve, but the review is interesting: