Well this is interesting

Love it. The first mini calculator.

6 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

This news item is actually fiction by David Cronenberg, right?

4 Likes

This is so Meta Internet.

2 Likes

first against the wall when the climate revolution comesā€¦

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like
1 Like

So they are filming (I think) either avengers or maybe Black Panther, but Iā€™m fairly sure itā€™s avengers) a couple of blocks from my office, so I have to drive by the set. Itā€™s on Auburn Ave., which if you know anything about ATL, you know itā€™s the historic heart of the black community here. I drove by the set Monday, and they were building awnings on some of the buildings. I drove by this morning - one of them says Harlem on itā€¦ so how weird is it that in filming in whatā€™s supposed to be the black community of NYC, they settle on the black community of ATL?

12 Likes

This Auburn Avenue?

Itā€™s very much part of Atlanta

4 Likes

NYC is sadly not film friendly for location shooting when it comes to permits and what isnā€™t allowed as far as set deocrations, effects on site, etc.

5 Likes

The very exact location where the filming is happening, actually. The cross street is now ā€œ139th Streetā€! I think itā€™sā€¦ Bell maybe? But I canā€™t remember off the top of my head.

I just found it super-ironic that one historically black neighborhood became the stand in for another oneā€¦

3 Likes

Really? Is that new, because I know that both Spike Lee and Scorsese did lots of filming there over the yearsā€¦ and arenā€™t all the netflix marvel shows filmed on location?

Weā€™re working to attract the industry, so low taxes, probably relatively easy permitting process, etc. I swear to god, literally EVERYTHING is filmed here now. I canā€™t spit intown without hitting a movie set!

5 Likes

I know back in the 80ā€™s John Carpenter filmed very very little in NYC for Escape from New York because they would not allow him to dirty up the streets for shooting.
But poking at IMDB it looks like they do a lot of location shoots so good for that.

Seattle isnā€™t a stand in city so much anymore but Vancouver BC still is and it is normal to have to walk around film shoots there.

4 Likes

Wow. With the huge John Lewis mural and everything?

This is the corner of Auburn and Jesse Hill, although I may have been standing on Bell when I took the picture.

2 Likes

I know right? I have no idea if that will make it into the film, but it would be interesting if it did. Lewis is so connected to downtown Atlanta by now, that it would be weird to see that mural in a fictional harlem! But maybe notā€¦

I couldnā€™t think of that cross street, I wanted to say Bell, but thatā€™s the next block closer to the King center,etc.

I do love that street, even when driving to my office and I get stuck behind the street car that no one is riding in!

3 Likes

As I recall, Larry Cohen used to film quite a bit in NYC in the '80s, but he never relied on elaborate sets, so that could be the issue.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Wow. That woman is a survivor.

Unrelated, except itā€™s an Alaska survival story:

http://tubulocity.com/?p=66

Max Hirschbergā€™s 1200 mile bicycle ride from Dawson YT to Nome AK during the winter of 1900.

4 Likes

she was a total rockstar! and her coat was super cute, too. (girl crushing on her)

4 Likes