Well this is interesting

Any way to block the pop-up pain/animation on Atlas Obscura?

I donā€™t get any pop-ups or animation on that site, so I donā€™t know what youā€™re seeing.

Iā€™ve got the standard add-ons, uBlock Origin plus Privacy Badger, if that helps.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Thatā€™sā€¦ thatā€™s fantastic! Someone needs to ask Alex Jones why heā€™s not reporting on this!

2 Likes

WTaF?

6 Likes

This bitch knows how to twitter. I have tried to use the medium and I just do not get it. I am jealous. Also, who knew square dancing was a racist conspiracy?

6 Likes

This hits me where it hurts. I used to be a C4 dancer (Challenge level 4ā€¦the highest level in Modern Western Square Dancing), and until reaching C2 (or maybe C3A?) my home caller/instructor was a black woman. Challenge-level dancing is mostly university types ā€“ students and professors ā€“ plus teachers and computer science geeks. I am horrified to learn there was this whole ulterior motive in its inception.

And no, I have never worn crinoline in my life.

10 Likes

I never knew challenge square dance was a thing. TIL.

6 Likes

Donā€™t look into that too closely itā€™ll suck in.

4 Likes

Itā€™s actually a blast: fun physical exercise, to music, with people who by definition are all at genius IQ level.

I had to stop when my brain fried due to an auto-immune disorder (thanks to having kids) and I couldnā€™t remember the calls consistently any more. Also, at that level, getting any floor time meant driving 1-1.5 hours each way, getting back very late at night, with young children at home. It just didnā€™t work with my life anymore.

8 Likes

I donā€™t twitter but that whole thread was good.

I would be careful. Big Square Dance is seeing this. You could be
getting too close. Theyā€™ve made people do-si-do with the fishes before.

anyway, the American national dance is obviously breakinā€™ :woman_cartwheeling:

10 Likes

Me neither. It sounds like time-speed-distance auto rallies for fitter and less adventurous people.

4 Likes

Or like speed chess.

4 Likes

Earlier this year, the IMDb got rid of its message boards. Today, Iā€™ve learned that they are continuing to attempt to monetize/hobble the site. Theyā€™re gradually getting rid of the reference mode in favor of an image heavy mode seemingly designed for mobile users. Theyā€™ve also hidden most of the info about production companies and distributors in the IMDbPro pay section. Grumble, grumbleā€¦

Tangentially, guess who I encountered while researching this issue. Anyone remember back in May when the Other Place had an article about this ā€œgentlemanā€ who ran his 18-wheeler into a Nevada Bunny Ranch and one of the understandably upset sex workers logged onto BB to object to the use of the G-word? Well, sheā€™s an IMDb user and has spent a little time on their help forums complaining about the difficulties IMDb presents in updating/accessing their Adult film data.

A quote from Kiteh Kawasaki: ā€œAmericaā€™s sexual self-loathing is deeply disturbing to me as a Japanese. I grew up at Kanayama Shrine where we worship erect phalluses. Thatā€™s my religion. I kid you not.ā€

She really should have stuck around.

8 Likes

I hadnā€™t noticed the image-heavy mobile-style change yet, but I just use google to search it for info and reviews about specific movies/shows. As for the message boards, without moderation they seemed about on par with Youtube comments.

4 Likes

The mobile-style change has been around since 2010. If you were a registered user, you could adjust your settings and retain the old reference mode. You can still do that for movies (for a little while at least), but you canā€™t do it for people anymore.

I rarely used the message boards, and when I did it was almost always for non-mainstream titles which didnā€™t seem to attract trolls. Perhaps, considered as a whole, the message boards did deserve to go, but I feel rather certain this had to do with the bottom line rather than concerns about content.

1 Like
1 Like

I didnā€™t use the message boards on IMDB much at all, but they were fun for discussing/heckling movies (I remember having fun trashing Highlander: the Source there.) Iā€™m kinda sad theyā€™re goneā€¦ but I rarely used them.

I donā€™t think the changes on IMDB have made it more mobile-friendly. I find it harder to get the information I want. Too many hoops to jump through, to the point where Iā€™ve used Wikipedia instead. Itā€™s a real shame.

5 Likes

I almost never use the internet on my mobile, so I was just going off what others had said. Thatā€™s my story and Iā€™m sticking to it.

3 Likes

I usually try to Google precisely enough that Iā€™ll hit the page I want, or at least be just one or two clicks away. I donā€™t use IMDBā€™s own navigation much.

4 Likes