Well this is interesting

50 shades of grey began as twilight fan fiction.

3 Likes

I’ve been a reader of fanfic for years now, and while some of it is, shall we say, less than fully polished, there are some absolute gems out there. Fanfic can be a way for those enchanted by a franchise (for lack of a better term) to play in its sandbox, adding their own interpretation to canon events, exploring unseen implications, creating closure to narratives abruptly truncated by cancellation… or, in some cases, fixing plots-gone-wrong in the parent work ( cough cough Lucifer season 6 cough cough.) Some professional, published authors have participated in fanfic-- it’s definitely not all trash.

That having been said… I’m not entirely sure it’s wise to “merge the streams” of fanfic and canon. One of the big reasons fandom-friendly writers have deliberately turned a blind eye to fanwork is so they can’t get sued for “stealing” another person’s idea, even inadvertently. And even if a creator’s okay with fanfic, any corporation they partner with (for television, movies, etc.) might not be, and might not hesitate to take legal action to protect their “intellectual property.” So yes, it’s risky for creators to acknowledge fanfic publically; it might be best to maintain a healthy distance between the two worlds.

5 Likes

The inconsequential, yet interesting stories behind making this one minute of film are fascinating.

7 Likes

Geez, what if MTG sees this?

5 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Haven’t read this yet.

3 Likes

From DECEMBER 2002. So I’m guessing that this was not a revolution in Ripperology.

1 Like

My favorite in Ripperology is They All Love Jack, mostly for how Robinson tears into the cops. His candidate for the Ripper was a priggish popular music hall composer, Michael Maybrick, brother to another famous candidate, James Maybrick, whose wife Florence Maybrick was convicted of poisoning with arsenic.

Like all of Ripperology it’s difficult to hold up Robinson’s book as definitive, but it’s a hell of a great read, and Robinson’s contentions are lurid and comprehensive. James Maybrick had apparently been addicted to various mind-altering poisons for years, Michael led the charge to have Florence railroaded for James’ death, everyone involved (including all the higher-ups at Scotland Yard) was a Mason, and Michael Maybrick may have been a kind of early telecommunications hacker-wizard.

2 Likes

Yeah, featured for Halloween.

1 Like

3 Likes

But not just any ichthyosaur was lost. The three-foot-long “fish lizard” was the first complete fossil of the animal ever collected, and it was most likely discovered by Mary Anning, a trailblazing English paleontologist.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I swear, before I read this, I did not know the origin of the gemstone jet. I really only started reading it because it’s written by Bob Colacello, who worked with Andy Warhol.

1 Like
7 Likes
1 Like

Hrm… It is amazing how frequently spiritualists will use the layman’s half-remembered understanding of quantum physics to give mysticism a veneer of science.

5 Likes

From the Wikipedia article about animism, which I read before I read & posted the above:

Other usage[edit]

Science[edit]

In the early 20th century, William McDougall defended a form of animism in his book Body and Mind: A History and Defence of Animism (1911).

Physicist Nick Herbert has argued for “quantum animism” in which the mind permeates the world at every level:

The quantum consciousness assumption, which amounts to a kind of “quantum animism” likewise asserts that consciousness is an integral part of the physical world, not an emergent property of special biological or computational systems. Since everything in the world is on some level a quantum system, this assumption requires that everything be conscious on that level. If the world is truly quantum animated, then there is an immense amount of invisible inner experience going on all around us that is presently inaccessible to humans, because our own inner lives are imprisoned inside a small quantum system, isolated deep in the meat of an animal brain.[109]

Werner Krieglstein wrote regarding his quantum Animism:

Herbert’s quantum Animism differs from traditional Animism in that it avoids assuming a dualistic model of mind and matter. Traditional dualism assumes that some kind of spirit inhabits a body and makes it move, a ghost in the machine. Herbert’s quantum Animism presents the idea that every natural system has an inner life, a conscious center, from which it directs and observes its action.[110]

In Error and Loss: A Licence to Enchantment,[111] Ashley Curtis (2018) has argued that the Cartesian idea of an experiencing subject facing off with an inert physical world is incoherent at its very foundation and that this incoherence is predicted rather than belied by Darwinism. Human reason (and its rigorous extension in the natural sciences) fits an evolutionary niche just as echolocation does for bats and infrared vision does for pit vipers, and is—according to western science’s own dictates—epistemologically on par with, rather than superior to, such capabilities. The meaning or aliveness of the “objects” we encounter—rocks, trees, rivers, other animals—thus depends its validity not on a detached cognitive judgment, but purely on the quality of our experience. The animist experience, and the wolf’s or raven’s experience, thus become licensed as equally valid worldviews to the modern western scientific one; they are more valid, since they are not plagued with the incoherence that inevitably crops up[colloquialism] when “objective existence” is separated from “subjective experience.”

These are the types of info-silos I get caught in. Earlier today, it was members of the Lost Generation in Paris, after - for SOME reason I don’t remember, I looked up “Tropic of Cancer” by Henry Miller…and it escalated from there.

3 Likes

I haven’t dug into this, but it really feels like begging the question… it assumes quantum effects require a consciousness to happen, and from there it concludes that consciousness must be everywhere and in everything. Adding the idea that consciousness itself is due to conscious effects seems a bit paradoxical.

But before wandering down those paths, it might make sense to try to find ways to test whether a conscious observer is required? The dual-slit experiment and related experiments, for an easy example, seem to come to the same result whether a person is viewing it while it is run or not… and even if that result isn’t determined until a person views it, it always (so far as I’m aware) comes out the same no matter how many times it’s run or who views the result. Why, then, should we assume that conscious observation is not only required to create the result, but even has an active influence on the result?

5 Likes