Well this is interesting

But of course the tree that falls in the forest makes a sound, whether there’s any human around to hear it or not; of course, any other life that’s in the forest will hear and feel the vibrations it makes when it hits the ground.

Am I close?

2 Likes

I suppose the better question would be, if two asteroids collide in orbit, does it create vibrations in the tenuous gas clouds surrounding them?

4 Likes

What’s the distance between atoms, compared to the wavelength of the sound? If the former is bigger that the latter, I don’t see how the vibrations could propagate.

OTOH, the collision will cause ripples in spacetime, but I don’t think LIGO is sensitive enough to detect it.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, in Rogers City, MI…

4 Likes

I’m not sure where to post this.

Situation is still dark. I hope it works out for them. This is like protesters burning down Mount Vernon.

6 Likes

Maybe they should. (the protestors and mt vern)

I hate to see anything burnt down that hardworking laborers and skilled craftpersons built, no matter for whom it was built. Sure, it represents the inhabitant/s; but geez, the sheer work put into it should mean something.

And we’ll never know who they were, and the memories of them are no longer of any physical substance.

2 Likes

Eh. It was a McMansion. Bury the foundation and let Star Trek people sort it out a thousand years from now.

2 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

It would make more sense to stop executions altogether.
Even if we ignore the moral mess of state-sponsored killing, life in prison without parole is much less expensive than a death sentence.

8 Likes

I can’t imagine the horror of being strapped down on a table for three hours while a bunch of Alabamans can’t figure out how to kill you.

9 Likes
3 Likes

Did not know that, but not at all surprised.

Almost, but not completely reverse engineered.

3 Likes

As someone who grew up in Alabama, I can and it’s very creepy.

4 Likes
7 Likes

The researchers believe that he was a military commander who was forced to crown himself as emperor of the most distant and difficult to defend province of the Roman empire, called Dacia.

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown” and all that.

6 Likes
3 Likes