Well this is interesting

No human is worth that much money. I hope he pays his fucking taxes.

3 Likes

I’m reading a used book I got a sf con a few years ago. It’s from Doubleday’s science fiction imprint from the 1950s. The logo caught my eye:

I thought it was a laptop being forked.

7 Likes

This seems particularly cringy

U.S. Circuit Judge Lawrence VanDyke, a Donald Trump appointee, took issue with that reasoning and said it discriminates between “land-based religions” and “more spiritual religions.”

5 Likes

They gotta be good for something, because IMNSHO, they don’t deliver the flavor that drip or pour-over methods do.

4 Likes

just tried pods for the first time last week. all 3 versions I tried were very weak-tasting.
I can’t believe how popular they are.

5 Likes

It’s what people are willing to give up/pay for the convenience.

3 Likes

Holy bat guano, Batman!

Keep your car in the garage.

7 Likes

This is sad.

8 Likes

I thought it was Sterling Hayden…weird how the last names are similar to me. Here’s a story about him.
https://www.sausalitohistoricalsociety.com/membership

2 Likes

Don’t think I’ve ever thought of the Sunshine Laws as a cause of Florida Man… but, meh, Florida is still crazy.

3 Likes

This is so difficult for me to read. My dad basically did this to us; swap out build a house for sail around the world.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear this. It sounds worse than a military family that has to move every two years. At least they are around other people!

I have a friend whose father was in the navy, but despite the move every two years business, she turned out OK, far as I know. She’s had a happy life I think. Due to my dad’s work with the CIA, I lived in Frankfort for two years as a young kid (7 yrs), then in Hawaii later (9-12). However, I think it was an adventure, especially Hawaii which I remember more than Germany. It was neat. But then I was more of a recluse and generally had only one or two close friends. Especially after I developed Crohn’s at about age 9.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Headline in the Miami Herald

The ancient discovery made on the Miami River is so significant it could derail development

The site was part of an extensive town believed to have been built some 2,500 years ago by the Tequesta tribe, which disappeared with the end of the first Spanish occupation of Florida in 1763. Experts contend the Brickell discoveries may constitute the most significant in a series of archaeological finds made at the mouth of the Miami River in the past 25 years that include the Miami Circle National Historic Landmark, thought to be around 2,000 years old. The independent archaeologists, including experts from the University of Miami, say a cluster of stone spear points that are among the thousands of artifacts and animal and human remains found at the site show indigenous occupation on the riverbank probably dates back as far as 7,000 years ago. (Fragmentary human remains have been removed for reburial elsewhere under supervision of the Seminole Tribe of Florida.)

Well, we know where that newspaper’s priorities are!

6 Likes

I really love this guy’s videos, including how he presents everything and then kinda leaves it up to you to draw your own conclusions.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Brussels sprouts wafts out of every gag

I’ll say.

3 Likes

We like to say that a brussels sprout is all the flavor of a large cabbage compressed down to the size of a walnut. The only kind I every almost liked were at a fancy restaurant a friend took us to. They roasted & caramelized the sprouts so that the flavor was toned down, and some actual (relative) sweetness came through.

BTW, is one called a brussel sprout?

4 Likes

My sister taught me how she makes them, they are very good. Basically you cut them in half, toss them in plenty of oil and then roast at like 450, until you are very afraid they are just abut to burn. Like, if you don’t have anxiety, they are not ready. These may be very specialized instructions that sound weird outside of our family, but I understood completely. And, when I tried myself, she was right. I took them out too soon and they had to go back in. By the time they were ready, I was pacing and waiting for a burning smell.

7 Likes