Well this is interesting

Attorneys for the state responded that Favre took $1.1 million in TANF money from Nancy New “for speeches he never made.”
“Favre repaid that, but he has neither repaid the $1.7 million he arranged for his drug company, Prevacus, to receive in exchange for giving Nancy New stock, nor the $5 million he orchestrated the USM Athletic Department to receive for a volleyball facility,” the state attorneys wrote.
Favre’s attorneys argued the Department of Human Services is suing the NFL Hall of Famer to deflect from the department’s own role in allowing fraud, and they filed multiple sets of papers seeking to have him dismissed from the suit.

So his argument is basically, “You can’t sue me because you didn’t prevent me from committing fraud to begin with.” That’s…certainly a novel argument. I’m shocked it didn’t work (/s).

11 Likes

Cameras planned for school bathrooms

DOTHAN, Ala. (WTVY) - Houston County Schools will install bathroom cameras soon, but those devices will record limited areas.

6 Likes

I haven’t done a deep dive, but the 6th Circuit (which does not include Alabama) has previously held that schools cannot record students in locker rooms. I would think a similar argument could be made for the area of the bathroom that these cameras would be recording.

10 Likes

He’s sure she was a mermaid- but could only see her upper body. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

He confessed he thought about shooting the mermaid, “but is afraid he might be arrested and tried for murder, and it would bring him into trouble.”

Thank goodness this idiot wanted to avoid being “brought into trouble”. :man_facepalming:

7 Likes

:astonished: :woman_astronaut:t5:

5 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/08/11/doj-merrick-garland-hunter-biden-weiss/

Special Counsel appointed in Hunter Biden case.

Does not seem inappropriate

2 Likes

It might be helpful in shutting up all the people saying ‘why Trump and not the son of the current President?’

4 Likes

Unbelievable. Worse that the bathroom stalls that had no doors (on purpose) in my junior high school back in the 1960s.

The pedophiles will like them.

5 Likes

Apparently- it’s somehow a problem for the Republicans?

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4149061-house-gop-blasts-appointment-of-hunter-biden-special-counsel/

6 Likes

Congressional Republicans: “No! The DOJ can’t conduct a real investigation! It’ll make ours look as fake as it is!”

8 Likes

Throw the book at him!

Also- are you listening, Donnie?

8 Likes

Not like Alabama seems to care about the supremacy clause right now, since they’re ignoring a direct order from SCOTUS…

They’ll keep on harping on that shit, no matter what happens…

6 Likes

That’s a good point.

6 Likes

I’m just wondering what’s gonna happen with that now, because it’s not like there is another legal body above SCOTUS… but who is going to enforce the ruling?

Of course, it’s not like this is the first time that a state has ignored a SCOTUS ruling… The case of the Cherokee, Creek, etc in North GA/Ala in the 1820s winning and STILL getting pushed out comes to mind. Rule of law only works if everyone agrees to play by the rules, of course…

9 Likes

Probably not the National Guard; yet.

8 Likes

Well…if I remember correctly, Alabama went through this a few years ago when their state Supreme Court Chief Justice ignored a Supreme Court ruling/order and it resulted in his removal from the bench. Then he ran for Senate and lost.

Ultimately, this is always an issue with everything in government. It all relies on various branches and the states respecting the rule of law and the supremacy of the federal government. And yes, as @kathy.padilla points out, as a last resort, the National Guard could be called in, as they were to enforce desegregation. I’m afraid that response today could be met with violence. Hopefully Alabama will back down. I have more to say, but I have to go make dinner.

9 Likes

I’m not sure how the gauard could enforce redistricting. One of the courts could hold the state in contempt, and appoint a redistricting commission, and maybe the guard could enforce that.

3 Likes

Good

5 Likes
5 Likes