Well this is interesting

2 Likes
6 Likes

He railed against the “sheltered princess” next to him and noted that animals were treated better than he was growing up. All Palm could manage to say was “I’m sorry.”

I have spent literally my entire life trying to push back against this exact kind of misogyny around me, when I’m not busy being a victim of it, and not once has it helped anyone change or grow to my knowledge. The burnout is real. Still: This just says it all doesn’t it though? I see this so much.

It’s literally why I just deleted yet another social media account withing 72 hours of creating it.

What a deep read though.

8 Likes

it’s a video about making video essays

There prisons were black dicks!!! LOL! Zach Snyder is fucking weird.

It’s why I stay away from most humans. I could very easily cry “VICTIM!” very convincingly because of what I went through growing up. (It’s all here, scattered around different threads, lol!) But I don’t. Because even though some it was definitely being victimized, that’s not what truly defines me. It made me part of who I am, being a constantly changing & evolving (I hope!) life form, but I am so much more than that.

At least, that’s how I see things. I just know enough to know I don’t know all that much.

7 Likes

Don’t forget, there’s also a Not Feminism 101 thread, if you’d like to take this further in that direction. I’ve been here I don’t know how long, and I still don’t know how to do move discussions from thread to thread, or else it’s because I don’t have the power to do it, which is fine because the less responsibility I have for things that deal with others, the better it is for everyone, lol!

4 Likes

If you go to the main page, you’ll see a button at the top right of the page that says + new topic. Just click on that, and it will give you a dialogue box for starting a new thread on whatever you’d like!

5 Likes

Thuban isn’t a particularly bright star, but it holds a special place in the hearts of stargazers. That’s because Thuban – a relatively inconspicuous star in the constellation Draco the Dragon – was the Pole Star some 5,000 years ago, when the Egyptians were building the pyramids.

And there’s evidence that Thuban helped guide the ancient pyramid-builders. Some features inside the pyramids do align with the stars.

But while the pyramids appear to us as an enduring monument of ancient Egypt. … the sky slowly changes. And, because Earth’s axis wobbles slowly over 26,000 years, the identity of our Pole Star changes. So Thuban is no longer our Pole Star.

But it’ll be the Pole Star again some 20,000 years from now. What will humanity be doing then?

Among the many mysteries surrounding Egypt’s pyramids are the so-called “air shafts” in the Great Pyramid of Giza. Originally, experts believed these narrow passageways were for ventilation while building the pyramids. In the 1960s, though, we realized the air shafts aligned with stars or areas of sky as the sky appeared for the pyramids’ builders 5,000 years ago.

One of the “air shafts” follows a crooked course through the Great Pyramid, so you couldn’t have sighted stars through it. To this day, the purpose of these passageways inside the Great Pyramid isn’t clear, although they might have been connected to rituals associated with the king’s ascension to the heavens. Whatever their purpose, the Great Pyramid of Giza reveals that its builders knew the starry skies intimately.

They surely knew Thuban was their Pole Star, the point around which the heavens appeared to turn. …

10 Likes

The world’s first giant slides.

7 Likes

Darn, I totally forgot about that, and thus started a new thread yesterday.

4 Likes

If you don’t see a little wrench at the bottom of the thread next to the post count or a pencil next to the thread title, you can’t move posts. I do not have that power here, but I do at the other place.

2 Likes

…before the fine, smooth, white Tura limestone casing blocks were stolen!

2 Likes

Buen Vivir…

[ETA] A longer article on this topic:

3 Likes

But rarely does an intervention come along with as big a potential impact on mortality as the latest one: In a news release yesterday, the maker of the diabetes and weight loss drug semaglutide (branded as Wegovy and Ozempic) said the drug reduced the risk of serious cardiovascular events, including death, heart attack, and stroke, by 20 percent.

—
But in the meantime, what’s most exciting about the trial is who it studied: adults who were overweight or obese (with a body mass index, or BMI, of 27 or higher), age 45 or over, and with “established cardiovascular disease” (which includes people who’ve had chest pain due to blockage of a blood vessel in the heart, or have other evidence of blood vessel blockages).

8 Likes
9 Likes

This is an interesting approach to reduce costs for patients taking this medication:

Adding to the cost and the potential upside for the industry: To keep weight off, patients may have to take the drugs indefinitely.

:thinking:

8 Likes

The woman I’m a caregiver for is diabetic and has been taking Rybelsus, the oral version of Ozempic, for a bit over a year now. She hasn’t lost a lot of weight, but her A1C has come down significantly. She is not poor, and she still couldn’t afford the medicine once she hit the Medicare donut hole. She was, however, able to qualify for the manufacturer’s patient assistance program, so they sent her the medicine for free. I don’t know how many people are aware of that, but most pharma companies have similar programs for their newer, super-expensive drugs. Sometimes you have to do a bit of digging around on their websites to find it, and then there are forms to fill out, and your doctor has to fill out a form, and it’s kind of a pain in the ass, but it’s a hell of a lot better than paying $750 for a 3-month supply of life-extending and improving medicine.

12 Likes

And after only two years! :roll_eyes:

6 Likes
7 Likes