Well this is interesting

Fascinating book:

4 Likes
4 Likes

A Background ‘Hum’ Pervades the Universe. Scientists Are Racing to Find Its Source - Scientific American

It’s obvious they’re hearing the engine…
Elementary-isnt it obvious-CrazyLeafyCougar

8 Likes
9 Likes

It’s appalling that they allowed any swimming there!

It’s beyond scandal, what the tories have done to the waters. Evil bastards.

8 Likes

Saw a recent report about the need for more drive through (drive-thru?) EV charging stations. This would be an improvement on the ones combined with parking spaces, since people using trailers have to maneuver them into place and unhitch to avoid blocking traffic (and then repeat the process before leaving). With recent reports of improvements in batteries, we might see more sustainable options soon:

9 Likes

In keeping with the spirit of the first post in this thread…TIL that the UK spells diarrhea differently than the US does. Interesting. How did I live to be 54 without knowing this?

9 Likes

New Philosophy Tube video…

4 Likes

It’s a big deal to find stations in the Motor City, I hear. It’s even a bigger deal that one could by a house for the sticker price of the car.

Or will EVs be better for people to live in than houses, what with so many folks living in their cars? And has there been any talks of methods of overland transport, such as trailer trucks and trains, being converted to electric?

5 Likes

From what I’ve seen in videos produced by full-timers, it’s more like rent. No one pays the sticker price for these vehicles, because they are traded in too frequently. Those who buy used get better deals.

For passenger rail, more states are going electric, like Brightline in FL:

Amtrak’s northeast corridor is already electric, but I’m following this project to see how they resolve the land/track ownership problem for future growth:

8 Likes

Great. More Mattel movies.

2 Likes

Kinda hard to argue that woman lead projects aren’t popular and shouldn’t be financed anymore.

But they will.

10 Likes
3 Likes

49 years ago today at the Twin Towers.

9 Likes
11 Likes

I still need to go see Barbie, but it’s probably going to be another week before I can :cry:

7 Likes

I enjoyed it. It’s fun. It’s not high art, and while there is some positive messaging sprinkled in, it’s certainly doesn’t say anything new or ground-breaking. But it’s a fun movie that doesn’t have a shit message, and by current standards, that’s pretty good.

8 Likes

I haven’t been yet either…

5 Likes

On the way back, one of my daughter’s friends (all 4 were around 21yo) said “I think my mom would have found this a different movie from me” and truer words were never spoken. Having never had a doll in my life, let alone a Barbie, I nonetheless absolutely identified with Greta Gerwig and America Ferrera (the mom in the story), including their experience of feminism and frustration with the patriarchy.

10 Likes
4 Likes