Well this is interesting

5 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

I never liked the book (addendum: Yes, I did read it). As for the movie, itā€™s very well-filmed and the actors are goodā€¦but I didnā€™t like it. Itā€™s creepy. Itā€™s not aged well at all, moreā€™s the pity for the legacies of James Mason & Shelley Winters & Sue Carolā€¦as for Peter Sellers, he was a abusive sociopathic creep in real life who wasnā€™t really anybody unless he was a character; so, I guess he did a decent job with Quilty, who is easily the most dislikeable character in a film with, um, lots of unlikeable characters.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Thatā€™s a nuclear bomb between his legs.

Inspiration for this?

7 Likes

Nah, itā€™s still the same olā€™ phallic symbolism.

1 Like
3 Likes
6 Likes

Iā€™m so fascinated by this. My thoughts on the subject are in the comments section of the video.

They got some stuff wrong, like the pronunciation of Grosse ā€œEelā€ not Grosse ā€œEy-ulā€. And some locations. But Iā€™m 100 percent certain now that my dad carried mail to all the ones that lived in Grosse Pointe Park, AND that he probably got some pretty nice Christmas envelopes from them, too. Yes, folks - people used to give the mailman money &/or gifts at holiday time.

I wonder if any of them were curious about my impending birth. I was told stories that folks on his route would ask Dad if Iā€™d finally been born or not, since I was due in late Sept./early Oct. but didnā€™t make my appearance till mid-Nov.

3 Likes

my mom was born in Detroit '45, a first-year boomer. when she was a teenager, there was no hippie scene, so she and her bestie were beatniks. her bestieā€™s mom was never home (and had no visible means of support) so theyā€™d always have sleepovers there. after graduation, they got an apartment together and took the bus home every night, the apartment was just a short walk. there was a guy they eventually noticed that walked the same route. always. eventually, he got much closer to them. they were freaking out. after they were fully hip that he was some kind of pervert, they ran home and her bestie got on the phone. ā€œI promised myself Iā€™d never do this,ā€ she said. ring ring. ā€œhello, Mom?..ā€ and she divulged the details. "Promise me he wonā€™t be killed. " Next day in the Detroit Free Press, there was a picture of the dude. he had driven his car off a bridge. my momā€™s bestie was the daughter of a fucking gun moll for the fucking Purple Mob.

5 Likes

Purple Gang. Allegedly, my sonā€™s paternal grandfatherā€™s dad was a driver for them.

Just curious, but whatā€™s your momā€™s maiden name? And no, I donā€™t want your SS# or a urine sample, lol.

she didnā€™t marry my father, so itā€™s the same as me, Gross.
her bestieā€™s and motherā€™s name was Coulsen, not sure the spelling. I think that was her maiden name; afaik, her friend never married

1 Like
2 Likes

Without watching, is it due to the ongoing enmity between Germany and France? Or have they kissed and made up?

Itā€™s about pros and cons of nuclear power.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a given.

4 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes