Well this is interesting

4 Likes
10 Likes

I have been on that bridge! My mom had a brief rebound marriage to a guy who grew up in that Richfield neighborhood, his parents still lived there in the late 70’s/early 80’s. What isn’t mentioned is there was a public swimming pool on Richfield side that would’ve been accessible to kids from the Boomington side. It wasn’t only for the school.

3 Likes

There’s a new holiday tomorrow (no, not Rosh Hashanah!) and if anyone’s in NYC there are events planned:

4 Likes

This video is cued to start at 24:07. This tells the story of a UFO encounter in Dexter, Michigan in 1966.

Numerous people had various sightings of a large UFO. In one instance, it hovered for four hours over a farmer’s field. Dr. Hynek — at this time still an Air Force stooge — visited the area and made a weak suggestion that it might have been glowing swamp gas.

This was apparently the first use of the clichĂ©ed “swamp/marsh gas” explanation.

The local population were upset because they felt that they weren’t being taken seriously. Their congressman, Gerald Ford, organized a hearing to find out what the Air Force was really doing. Walter Cronkite put together a special news report titled “UFOs: Friend, Foe or Fantasy.”

All of this furore sounded familiar.

I feel like this event is what inspired the Creedence Clearwater Revival song “It Came Out of the Sky.”

2 Likes
1 Like

I highly recommend his works. Get a copy of “Whiskey River” ASAP!

2 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve actually used this argument with regard to quitting practices in businesses, but I think it’s specifically well-suited when it comes to religious situations:

1 Like
4 Likes

I think this is sort of related to what you’re saying. When I was a middle management engineer for an HVAC manufacturer, the HR department (which was literally 2 people
we weren’t a huge corporation) would conduct an annual employee satisfaction survey. And every year, a consistent conclusion of this survey, along with exit interviews of people who had left the company, was that money was never the primary reason someone left or stayed. And they used this as justification for not raising wages or salaries. It drove me nuts. They were so clearly deluding themselves and getting the answer they wanted, just like your article talks about most people leaving the church for casual reasons instead of because of widespead abuses. It’s amazingly easy to fool yourself when you want to.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Exactly! I have never left a job strictly because of money, but the 20%+ pay raises moving has routinely given me certainly don’t help me want to stick around.

6 Likes

I once had to explain to upper management that when an entire department – all women – leave within 3 months of each other, all citing ‘want to spend more time with family’, that maybe the new hired-from-outside department manager should be considered as the real reason. Let’s see: the employees were all long-standing and considered experienced and professional, and yet starting from about 2 weeks after this new manager started, they just kept handing in their notices with that ‘casual’ explanation until they were all gone within 3 months. Hmmmm, that’s just so tough to figure out.

9 Likes

At a different job I had, the company got sold and the new owners sent in a hot shot young executive to run our company. They had hired him away from Harley Davidson. This was in 1998, so not long after Harley’s noteworthy turnaround. Anyway, this guy comes in and just starts changing everything, and he’s really big on telling people how important our work was. Engineering was behind on a lot of projects, mainly because the sales department would never say no to a customer special request and we didn’t have enough engineers to run that kind of a business. So he calls our engineering manager into his office, and then our engineering manager calls a meeting with all of us to tell us that we are all on mandatory 10 hour days, 6 days a week until further notice. Now, half of the department were degreed engineers. We were salaried, exempt from overtime rules. So we weren’t getting compensated for this. About 2 weeks later, our engineering manager is the first to announce he’s leaving the company. Then our controls engineer a week later, then me a week after that. Within 6 months, all of the degreed engineers had left. A year later, that new hot shot was shown the door, after almost running a 50 year old business into the ground.

9 Likes
4 Likes

It’s very widely known that “people don’t quit jobs they quit bosses”. Anyone who’s worked somewhere for awhile knows it to be true.

There are a few exceptions of course. I quit a job after I started college, because I thought I could work nightshift full time and just take some classes in the early morning and some evening classes, but due to prerequisites and scheduling limits, that didn’t work out. I lasted about a month going to school all day and working all night and just napping in breakrooms before I had to make a serious choice. I also quit one when I moved to another state. And another one when I went from a retail to a career job. None of those were about the boss or even the job. I liked those jobs and got along fine with the bosses.

But usually, unless there’s a major life change, it’s the boss. And if several people are quitting, it’s almost definitely the boss (or possibly a higher-up that the boss is not standing up to).

7 Likes

I suspect a lot of that is informed speculation as much as anything, but it’s interesting. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Murdoch kids sell Fox after Rupert dies. So I think the more interesting question is, who buys it? Warner-Discovery would probably love to, but they already own CNN, and I think the government would likely say no to that, assuming Trump doesn’t end up back in the White House. We have 3 broadcast networks: ABC, NBC, and CBS. And we have 3 major cable news networks: CNN, MSNBC, and Fox. Obviously, NBC-Universal owns both NBC and MSNBC. Disney owns ABC. Paramount owns CBS. And, as I already said, Warner-Discovery owns CNN. So if they’re out, that leaves Disney and Paramount to vie over Fox. Disney already bought 20th Century Fox from Fox Corp. I think Disney makes a huge play for FoxNews if it ends up for sale. And I think the government would have trouble finding a reason to deny it since Universal owns NBC and MSNBC. So I’m making that prediction now. When Rupert Murdoch dies, his kids sell FoxNews to Disney.

5 Likes
4 Likes