Well this is interesting

1 Like
3 Likes

Unfortunately, without actually knowing the specific contract terms he signed for, it’s really hard to know just how much he had sole authority over. If he signed over rights to someone else, he can’t just unilaterally cancel that…

3 Likes

What’s interesting about this video to me:

• Title is straight up clickbait.
  • Thumbnail is a photo of a bunch of women in bikinis to draw eyes. There’s a big red circle around one to make you wonder what’s special about that. This photo has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the video whatsoever. It never appears except in the thumbnail.
  • Generally speaking, both the video and the audio seem as if to be professionally put together by real humans. The voice sounds like the narrator voice on any number of cable TV shows or even broadcast network shows.
  • The items they are talking about are pretty much all straight out of tabloids like Weekly World News, but they don’t address that head-on. There’s only a minor mention in one segment about how “even if it isn’t real” but they don’t go into any detail on the debunking.

And here’s the fun part:

• You hear “Four zero zero hundred years ago” repeated a few times.
  • And then, “The hipster of one thousand nine hundred and forty one inches” repeated a couple of times.
  • That “hipster of 1941” bit occurs twice, but worded a little differently, in the same video. They’re giving us 10 things, and 2 of them are the exact same thing.

Any human making it would’ve noticed those things. Any human reviewing it would’ve noticed and edited those things. But there was no human involved. Except for the humans watching it and the ads.

This is a current AI generated video, and it’s extremely close to something you’d see on The ‘History’ Channel or other cable TV. With 46,000 views in 1 day. There are only a few uncanny valley cues that make it obvious - to those who are paying attention.

This channel is cranking out multiple videos per day, and has over a quarter million subscribers.

It may be only a few months from now that these videos can be generated without those obvious uncanny valley moments.

The future is weird.

13 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes

eeuch! I hadn’t even thought about how it would be used on kids like that. Our kids (or grandkids) are living in a totally different world where that is normal to them, and they’re seeing that stuff anytime the log in (and they’re always logged in).

Whoof. Our generation had misinformation and conspiracy theories and such, but you kinda had to go down a rabbithole and seek it out. They’re just getting fed that instantly at a click and then one after the other.

4 Likes
3 Likes

= someone’s weird aunt, cousin, or uncle that nobody ever saw except at weddings, funerals or family reunions.

or…the early National Enquirer, before it went all celebrity-nutty.

5 Likes

Weekly World News. Long live Bat Boy! :rofl:

I went to see “Bat Boy: The Musical”. It was a fun play, and about as silly as you would expect.

5 Likes

Over at the cinema it’s a bit cloak and dagger. When I ask one visitor which movie he’s come to watch he names an obscure 15-minute Russian film and smiles. To avoid licensing issues, some cinemas in Russia have been selling tickets to Russian-made shorts and showing the Barbie feature film as the preview.
…
I drive to the town of Shchekino, 140 miles from Moscow. There’s a concert on at the local culture centre. Up on stage four Russian soldiers in military fatigues are playing electric guitars and singing their hearts out about patriotism and Russian invincibility. “We will serve the Motherland and crush the enemy!” they croon.
…
“In Western films they talk a lot about sexual orientation. We don’t support that,” Ekaterina tells me. “Russian cinema is about family values, love and friendship.”

8 Likes
3 Likes

Interesting, but no,

3 Likes

Yah, some of them are pretty dreadful, like ML.

3 Likes

Michael Landon?

1 Like

1 Like
1 Like

I showed this to my wife and she said “You don’t want an artist! You want a bloody photographer!”

O-esquete-da-Ultima-Ceia-foi-inspirado-numa-historia-real

2 Likes

… the “History Channel” produced a sort of remake of The X-Files with Hynek as the hero

It was utterly bonkers & of course it was canceled

4 Likes

I found a listing for the house I was born into.

I find this interesting. Probably no one else needs to care.

I use the odd term “born into” because I really didn’t “grow up” there. I only lived in that house until I was 3 or 4. So my memories of this house are fragmentary and hazy.

My parents bought this house new. It was built by someone named Don Summers, or possibly “Sommers.” I don’t know if he was an architect or if he ran a company that developed new homes. But my parents liked his work, so they mentioned his name often.

It was in this home that my parents briefly lived the American Dream. They were married, had a kid (my older brother), my father had a good job at Marquette Electronics a short distance away, and they could do as much shopping as they wanted at the near-by Northridge Mall.

Although my memories are fragmentary and hazy some of these photos feel familiar. Why is that? Because by the mid 70s my parents had moved into a two-story house, which was also build by Don Summers. The two story house was constructed using many of the same methods and materials. It was basically this house with the bedrooms on the second floor.

A few notes on the pictures:

• This house is in great condition. Whoever have lived in this house over the decades have really taken care of it.
  • The exterior is totally unchanged.
  • The kitchen and dining area appear to have been redone in the 1980s.
  • The family room is almost unchanged. The fireplace with a marble slab hearth, and the fake wood paneling on the walls is very recognizable. The wall-to-wall carpeting is new.
  • The bifold closet doors with the round pull in the bedroom are definitely original.
  • I have memories of that green Armstrong linoleum in the back hall. We had the same style, but in beige, throughout the kitchen in the two-story house. I remember playing on that floor, looking down on it like the map of a vast city. Matchbox cars were involved.
    *As you can see in the basement, the house is held up by an I-beam supported by a hollow steel column, both coated in a mars-red primer. This structure was also used for the two-story house.
  • The “sculpted” carpeting in the living room is definitely original. The 70s was the golden age of sculpted carpet. Would you believe my parents had scraps of this carpet in the basement of the two story house? They kept it for utility purposes, such as a layer of protection under the Christmas tree stand.

The two-story house still exists but has been expanded so much over the years that it is totally unrecognizable. Listings for that are easy to find. Look up 10841 N Oriole Lane, Mequon. It was in this house that their American Dream came to an end.

8 Likes