Well this is interesting

1 Like
2 Likes

Although Kureishi had been unwell with an infection, his collapse was unexpected. His sense of outrage at his fate is shared by fellow patients who were badly injured in sudden accidents.

"One guy fell out of bed and broke his neck. People fall down the stairs. People fall into swimming pools. It’s a catalogue of farcical and cruel, contingent, meaningless events.

"There’s a guy I was talking to the other day, he was in his garden, he tripped over a rake and broke his neck. He was absolutely outraged by the injustice of what had happened to him. It’s very common, with these kinds of circumstances, [to feel] that you’ve been plucked out of the world at random and punished in some kind of Kafkaesque way.

“But then you get a much broader sense that this happens all the time to people.”

2 Likes
2 Likes

In 2021, researchers at the Queen Mary University of London placed tardigrades in hollow nylon bullets and fired them into sand targets. The tested tardigrades were able to survive impacts of up to 3,000 km/h and momentary shock pressures of up to 1.14 GPa.

Spilling tardigrades across the Moon is legal.

And from another article in the sources:

The spacecraft was carrying the foundation’s first lunar library, a DVD-sized archive containing 30 million pages of information, human DNA samples, and thousands of tardigrades, those microscopic “water bears” that can survive pretty much any environment—including space.

The lunar library on the Beresheet lander consisted of 25 layers of nickel, each only a few microns thick. The first four layers contain roughly 60,000 high-resolution images of book pages, which include language primers, textbooks, and keys to decoding the other 21 layers. Those layers hold nearly all of the English Wikipedia, thousands of classic books, and even the secrets to David Copperfield’s magic tricks.

So, we mixed our DNA in with a bunch of tardigrades and shot them into the moon with an archive of human knowledge and magic tricks. This sounds like the beginning of one of those really low-budget sci-fi films from the 1950s.

Also we now have tardigrade bullets, which is pretty cyberpunk.

7 Likes

I feel like that could be the Red Dwarf universe, or at least that’s what it brought to mind.

4 Likes

Recently I learned that for more than 500 years, anyone who wanted a Master of Arts degree from Oxford had to take an oath promising they would never “agree to the reconciliation of Henry Symeonis” (this was in Latin, so quod numquam consencient in reconciliationem Henrici Symeonis). The requirement was added to the university statutes in 1264, and wasn’t removed until 1827—more than half a millennium later. The good part is that for most of that enormous span of time, nobody had any idea who Henry Symeonis actually was or what he might have done.

But they swore that whatever it was, they would never forgive him for it.

8 Likes

Bad enough that people will take oaths; worse that they will take oaths against someone they know nothing about!

3 Likes

The Alliance of Patriots, a pro-Russian political party, said it gifted the icon to the cathedral several months ago. But it only came to prominence this year, after an opposition former politician Giorgi Kandelaki highlighted its presence in protest at what he said was an attempt to present “one of the biggest mass murderers in history” in a “positive light”.
…
“Stalin killed my whole family, he instilled terror and fear, he was not a hero,” she told Politico, adding that she has been receiving death threats since posting the video on Facebook. She also said her house has been targeted by mobs since the incident.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Is there any way we could help?

3 Likes

The Detroit Lions have a chance at going to the Super Bowl this year.

Wow.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Boeing hasn’t been doing too well lately.

3 Likes
3 Likes

This is the neighborhood in which my parents met, and began their married life, back in the late 1940s/early 1950s. Though they lived north and east of the canals, I think.
https://www.axios.com/local/detroit/2024/01/23/icy-stroll-jefferson-chalmers-canals?utm_source=Planet+Detroit&utm_campaign=6d0741a818-Oct-13-2023_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-64f8d64608-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]&mc_cid=6d0741a818

4 Likes

I spent a fair amount of time as a kid in Marine City, further North along the “thumb”, and it’s all canal’d. it’s really nice. didn’t know they existed in Detroit proper.

4 Likes

I lived near that 'hood all of my kid-&-teen life (lives?), and it is cool.

Marine City seems to be, at least just off of I-94, shopping plazas. How far is it from Anchor Bay, lol? I went there for a chess tournament in h.s., like…1980, I think.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I was a little kid, I wasn’t driving. but I knew it was up the thumb. so I assumed it was still the Detroit River but when I was looking for the map just then, apparently before you get to lake Huron it widens out into Lake St Clair and on the other side it’s not called Detroit River anymore, it’s the St. Clair River.
but yes, Marine City is just past Anchor Bay

3 Likes