Well this is interesting

8 Likes

“So there’s probably little bits of dinosaur bone up on the moon,” I asked.
“Yeah, probably.”

9 Likes

It reminds me of a Spock vs. Q recording that I listened to, featuring Leonard Nimoy and John DeLancie, where the two titular characters debate whether Earth (and humanity) is worth saving from an oncoming asteroid.

Some relevant quotes:

Spock: Anything is possible if the desire to obtain it is present.
Q: Yeah, well, fat lot of good desire is going to do them when they’re all burnt toast.
Spock: Which is not to say they cannot still do something.
Q: Pfft. Right. Before they’re toast?
Spock: While there’s still time.
Q: Actually, toast is too whole. They’re going to be atomized!
Spock: How insensitive.
Q: Blown out of the sky!
Spock: How crass.
Q: Smithering cities; stardust; the last run of the grunion!
Spock: How boorish.
Q: Because an asteroid the size of Montana is heading this way! So there!

Q: Fish gotta swim; asteroids gotta fly.

Spock: How do you think it makes them feel?
Q: Hmmm… Ohhhhhh, a peanut sat on a railway track; its heart was all in a flutter. Along came the midnight railway express… Bango, peanut butter!

Q: You know, you get to go up in a puff of smoke! You’re barely going to feel anything, just a little popping in the ear, and then, poof! You know, fricaseed Earth!

Q: It’ll be over in a flash! I mean, really! Oh, look, there’s just going to be a little gnashing of teeth, and say… and you know, they say a change of environment builds character!

Spock: My mother was human. I have lived and worked with humans, and have observed them closely. I believe the human race has many laudable characteristics.
Q: So did the dinosaurs. They were around for 140 million years. That didn’t stop the asteroid with their name on it.

6 Likes

This thread:

9 Likes

Fabulous description of how kludgy our vision is.

4 Likes

7 Likes

I remember trying to ask my mom, when I was but a wee lad, why the second hand on the clock would freeze for a moment when I would glance at the clock. Or why the ceiling fan blades would stop if I looked up at them quickly.

She would “tut, tut” me and say I was imagining things.

6 Likes

Who knew?

4 Likes

I wonder what this really means. Did he insult Ivanka’s looks? Tell turnip his hands are not large? Is it because Laura Ingraham turned on him? Or is there some other scandal we’re not supposed to notice happening today, and it was his turn to be the patsy?

7 Likes

Pruitt also wanted to get commemorative coins issued for the department that would be exceptionally large and feature items symbolizing himself, such as a bible verse. The proposed coin didn’t include the agency’s logo because Pruitt thought it looked look a cannabis leaf, according to the New York Times. (The coins were never made.)

Okay, I don’t have a lot of experience with pot, but I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t look like this:

7 Likes

Indeed, ridiculous, but I didn’t figure that would put him on the outs with his boss, who does the same stupid bullshit.

And, if that asshole thought that looked like a pot leaf…FFS, willfully ignorant POS. argle bargle, vomit.

8 Likes

I’d have gone with “Death Star” myself.

9 Likes

Death Star squishing a Butterfly.

It’s like it was designed for Pruitt’s EPA.

8 Likes

From Vader’s point of view, it was the “Life Star.”

3 Likes

From Vader’s point of view it was a monument to technological hubris, “nothing compared to the power of the force.”

6 Likes

A mooving experience today

7 Likes

Nice leather seats, though.

What are they thinking???

2 Likes

That’s even too crazy for Florida.

2 Likes

This may not be news to those more familiar with genetics, but I found some fascinating bits.

In pregnant women, fetal stem cells can cross the placenta to enter the mother’s bloodstream, where they may persist for years. If Mom gets pregnant again, the stem cells of her firstborn, still circulating in her blood, can cross the placenta in the other direction, commingling with those of the younger sibling. Heredity can thus flow “upstream,” from child to parent—and then over and down to future siblings.

Every one of us carries a unique flora of hundreds if not thousands of microbes, each with its own genome, without which we cannot feel healthy—cannot be “us.” These too can be passed down from parent to child—but may also move from child to adult, child to child, stranger to stranger. Always a willing volunteer, Zimmer allowed a researcher to sample the microbes living in his belly-button lint. Zimmer’s “navelome” included 53 species of bacteria. One microbe had been known, until then, only from the Mariana Trench.

12 Likes

How did it get from the naval depths to the navel depths?

17 Likes