Well this is interesting

Hey, they finally found Atlantis!

7 Likes

I thought theyā€™d found evidence of an ancient city in Spain that might have led to the Atlantis myth?

Between this and drought-parched grass showing up ancient sites in Britain, weā€™re finding a lot of places once lost. Now we just need to not lose the earth itself.

10 Likes

Small meteor crater perhaps? Had to have been recent (last 1000 years?) or the sea would have obliterated it.

Or a spaceship.

6 Likes

If Atlantis were a myth, or a legend, someone would have mentioned it before Plato. Not a myth, not a legend.

Had to cancel loading the site though, because painful.

2 Likes

Spoiler alert: I was being facetious.

Whatever this is, itā€™s much too small, and in entirely the wrong place, to actually be Atlantis. Not to mention that itā€™s only, literally, a few metres offshore, so a freaking city would have been noticed. Itā€™s the right shape (concentric circles), but thatā€™s about it.

Could still be a spaceship, though.

Or an underwater supervillain base.

8 Likes

The document record isnā€™t intact enough to say anything of the sort. If it were, weā€™d have multiple copies of what Aristotle had to say about comedy.

Last I heard, the going theory was that Atlantis was based on a flooding and destruction of a real city (probably from an earthquake), which then got embellished. Sort of like how Troy was a real city, but the stories about it are embellished.

10 Likes

There are inundated (ā€œsunkenā€) settlements and harbors and cities all over the Black, Med, North, Aegean, Adriatic, and Baltic Seas. Sea levels rose quite a bit 3-4 thousand years ago as Central Asian and Siberian glaciers fully melted. Like all great Rural Myths, The Flood happened dozens of times in many places. Thatā€™s without even touching the eruption of Thera.

13 Likes

Looks like a sunken one of those round ship designs that never quite caught on:

(more info: http://englishrussia.com/2012/07/22/round-ships-of-the-russian-admiral/)

4 Likes

Or maybe

4 Likes

Why not? Kids play in abandoned mines in Denmark all the time and no one gets all pearl-clutchy about it.

Youā€™re telling me. In what crazy system is ā€œState Mine Inspectorā€ an elected position?

3 Likes

I wonder if mining companies have something to do with it? :thinking:

1 Like

I suppose it speaks to my own prejudices, but the notion of Danish children playing in Danish mines doesnā€™t worry me nearly as much.

1 Like

Wow! That looks like something designed by a 5th-grader!
And that last sentence:

The only completed XF5U-1 proved to be so structurally solid that it had to be destroyed with a wrecking ball.

:rofl: Not what you expect for an airplane prototype!

1 Like

So many kids adventure books begin with mines and caves. Goonies, for example. Sometimes the rapaciously greedy villain is the great-great-great-grandson of a slaver out for revenge against aā€¦ pirate? What did his family wrong one time? And sometimes itā€™s a dipshit South African. But I repeat myself.

2 Likes

Another Youtube video discussed racism and racist motivations for a hoax. Anyway, there was a lot of push-back.

I tried to find videos on the Monogenesis-Polygenesis controversy and the rise and fall of race as a scientific theory but no luck.

I did find this very short history of anthropology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-q7uvGHlo

As a lecture, it tends to omit important topics if they have separate lectures.

My favorite part of Danish mines is when they find a large deposit of streusel.

5 Likes

Better than treacle or high BCB fats?

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a lot of animation at the beginning. I open another window in front until the music stops:

3 Likes

http://languagehat.com/linguistics-clickbait/

I offer a few of my own suggestions on the Hat thread.

4 Likes

World War I still having an effect.

8 Likes