Well this is interesting

Google cars + solar frickin’ roadways, FTW.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Also:

8 Likes
6 Likes

heh, that part about physical echo chambers, how they took up space? When I went to the Motown Museum, the studio where all that stuff was recorded is meticulously preserved. They had an echo chamber, but to get around space constraints, they had it on the roof of the neighboring building (also owned by Gordy,the first building of the museum where you pay and enter) and ran wires from the studio to a speaker in it, and then from a mic in it back down. Pretty neat.

6 Likes

Don’t if any nuclear buffs saw this but nature beat us again.

5 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2144860-bacterial-optical-fibre-helps-shine-lasers-through-murky-waters/

2 Likes

Two this morning (or very very early Sunday for some):

Stan Lee’s WW2 military classification was “playwright”, one of nine enlisted men who held that title.

The first international cricket match was held in 1844, between Canada and the U.S.

10 Likes

ive got a container i keep coffee in after i grind it, and that’s how i get the coffee scoop out when i accidentally bury it. shake the container and the scoop rises to the top.

8 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

OK, I apologize for off-topic in terms of the thread, but I just saw this video for the first time yesterday and it is very on-topic in terms of Chicago:

1 Like

Well, that was…interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

keep the juices in the brats, chigoliz.

the Daveb video was really cool, but what about that assertion that the Windy City derives from “w¯ind” the present-tense of “wound” and not “wind” as in blow? He didn’t have a cite on that one but nobody seems to have a strong cite for wind-as-in-blow, either. I’ve seen straight-faced, written arguments that Chicago is the Windy City due to how the political situation changes like the weather and NOT because the city is literally, physically windy af. You got any intel, here?
Yo, all I know is that the Windy C is a mother, brother.

2 Likes

Oh that was great! Love the 80’s drums.

4 Likes

AREE is a serious and ongoing project to design a Venus rover controlled by a mechanical computer because it’s too hot for electronics. It might communicate to an orbiter by essentially, flashing a mirror.

tech20170825b

13 Likes
5 Likes

Could that be tested deep in the ocean? Might give similar pressures.

2 Likes