Well this is interesting

You seen these?
http://www.strandbeest.com

3 Likes

I am having trouble finding a good reference, but something I found interesting is just how often the deep sea preserves lineages that died out elsewhere. Besides coelacanths there are sea lilies, slit shells, monoplacophorans, and to some extent nautiluses. All were reasonably widespread in the Palaeozoic, then during the Mesozoic marine revolution – related to the appearance of new predators – disappeared except in this relatively inaccessible refuge.

8 Likes

Yes! I love strandbeesten. One of the projects I’ve been dreaming about for years is to put a strandbeest drive on a bike as a kind of art project. I might have unfettered access to a makerspace in a few months, would be a good project for a laser cutter I think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What gets me is that, the way evolution works, it’s entirely possible one of those lineages could evolve to once again rule the oceans…

2 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

Fascinating if you’re into space and computer history, not so much otherwise:

http://svtsim.com/moonjs/agc.html

2 Likes

Or awesome Scottish accents!

1 Like

Check out his Kerbal videos. :slight_smile:

Nah, but I found this.

And, well, this is interesting.

2 Likes

Different accent, but do you know this one?

3 Likes
3 Likes

This is potentially quite important:

6 Likes

The Marble Machine. 18c meets the 21st.

6 Likes

Now I do.

2 Likes

One for the aviation fans:

This is like motorcycle trials for airplanes.

Speaking of bike trials:

3 Likes
4 Likes
18 Likes

I wonder how many mission goofs happened before this due to tired astronauts. As far as I know, the only mission that was widely publicised on was Apollo 13 – with the slant that the astronauts didn’t goof as much as expected, despite being sleepless and stressed.

I hate how this stuff is always framed as soft-skill “human rights”. You wouldn’t drive a car hundreds of kilometres every week for a year and then complain when it burned out because you never got an oil change for it – why do we keep expecting humans to function without constraints?

10 Likes
2 Likes