Well this is interesting

13 Likes
10 Likes

Come on emp!

4 Likes

And then the chuds came for the survivors.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s going on with Nostoceras? Or Ptychoceras?

2 Likes

The things you learn while digging through old folk songsā€¦

3 Likes
2 Likes

Somewhat political:

David Montgomeryā€™s Dirt is also good.

Michael Jonesā€™s The End of Roman Britain attributes much of the collapse to soil depletion, though partly due to increased rainfall rather than soley due to aggressive Roman farming techniques on marginal land.

3 Likes

I wonder if the shifting weight of melting ice is enough to trigger volcanoes?

:thinking: :confused: :frowning: :open_mouth: :astonished: :scream:

4 Likes

A little love and appreciation for the AGC.

5 Likes

In the early hours of Saturday morning three weeks ago, researchers searching the Universe for signs of alien life detected 15 explosive radio signals in the space of just five hours, all coming from a tiny galaxy 3 billion light-years away.

ā™« Just remember that youā€™re standing on a planet thatā€™s evolving
And revolving at 900 miles an hourā€¦ ā™«
ā™« And pray that thereā€™s intelligent life somewhere up in space 'Cause thereā€™s bugger all down here on Earth ā™«

14 Likes

Fascinating history thread:

2 Likes
8 Likes

But what was the porpoise?

13 Likes

In 1970, Jefferson Airplane was relatively inactive, so Paul Kantner took the opportunity to create this album, Blows Against the Empire, jointly credited to Kantner and Jefferson Starship. (This usage of the name Jefferson Starship predates the actual band.) A concept album about hippies stealing a spaceship to escape from oppression on Earth/the U.S., BatE was nominated for a Hugo, the first such nomination for a musical album. (Firesign Theatreā€™s Donā€™t Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers also received a Hugo nom the same year.)

Kantner borrowed from Methuselahā€™s Children, among other Robert Heinlein works, and sent Heinlein a letter asking permission. Heinlein was pleased to be asked (for a change) and rather surprisingly (to me) requested an autographed Jefferson Airplane album to go with the four he already owned. Perhaps less surprising, he follows up this request by flirting with Grace Slick.

https://matthewgraybosch.github.io/playing-paul-kantners-blows-against-the-empire/

So, how many Bowie albums must he have had?

6 Likes

Cetacean needed.

19 Likes
3 Likes

Darn near recreated this topic all over again, I was so excited.

Only today learned of the existence of centuries old underground cities. Now I hope to make a trip to Anatolia at some point in this life.

ā€œIn excess of 200 underground cities containing a minimum of two levels have been discovered in the area between Kayseri and Nevsehir. Some 40 of those contain a minimum of three levels or moreā€

15 Likes
3 Likes

By gum, I do love me a good documentary series. I know what Iā€™m watching this weekend. Thanks, @smulder!

2 Likes