Well this is interesting

I think I’ve heard of the sap of the rubber tree (which is made into latex rubber) as milk.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I dislike the dairy industry for promoting the “milk is good for you” business when it’s a common source of sensitivity and outright allergy, not to mention saturated fat. So I say screw your attempt to monopolize the word “milk.”

On the other, we do have big problems with definitions in food labeling. Almond milk is (I think) on the same shelves as dairy milk, so I can see how someone might think it was just almond-flavored milk. And then there’s soy milk and rice milk and so on. We use rice milk in cereal, and it states right on the box “do not use as infant formula.” I guess it doesn’t have the right nutrients for that. I don’t know about almond milk, but I do wonder if it has the same problem.

Perhaps we should require the dairy industry to call their product “Cow milk?” Problem solved!

9 Likes

Must be patience work milking those little almonds.

9 Likes

It’s already called dairy, where nut and other plant milks aren’t.

Like the article cited above says, this isn’t new. And it wouldn’t be a problem except people don’t learn any fucking history anymore besides bizarro versions of relatively recent wars.

9 Likes

I’ve never heard of rubber milk.

I have, however, heard of a rubber biscuit:

If it don’t bounce back, you go hungry.

6 Likes

13 Likes
6 Likes

The lumps and bumps I’ll give him – because da Vinci was such a good anatomist – but the hair and skin, no. No eyebrows and high foreheads were fashionable and more likely from tweezers than thyroid. Her hair is also weighed down by a veil he didn’t mention.

And the yellowing is from the age of the portrait and the chemicals used to create it.

Even without the skin and hair his argument holds up though.

8 Likes

I don’t buy it.

3 Likes

Physicians tend to think they are expert in areas other than their fields, and to “know” they are right. I’ve seen this a lot over the years.

6 Likes

LOL.

“There’s a spot by her left eye, and let’s argue that her neck isn’t as thin as it might theoretically be, and in a certain light it looks like there’s some very slight anomaly between her fingers. Also, there’s her hairline, eyebrows, and skin tone, all which can easily be explained away by other factors. Ummm… underactive thyroid. Case closed! Best doctor ever!”

5 Likes
8 Likes

IMO her smile just means she’s had a successful hour in the loo.

4 Likes

Whos that again?
House_b9958f_319505

4 Likes
5 Likes

…describing it to Efe news agency as a “vengeance rather than a restoration”

5 Likes

Not so different:

3 Likes

Working those rubbers is even harder.

3 Likes

Interesting technical story behind the TR-808 and the defective transistors that are responsible for its legendary sound.

http://secretlifeofsynthesizers.com/the-strange-heart-of-the-roland-tr-808/

5 Likes

I’ve always loved first-hand accounts of submariners. There’s a bit in Iron Coffins when their boat got stuck in the mud on the seafloor somewhere around Denmark and the whole crew had to alternate running back and forth from bow to stern and jump up and down to rock it loose. Other interesting bits in U.S. and British accounts. This one is new, I had no idea it would get that hot down below the surface. Sounds like they didn’t either.

9 Likes

I thought the same thing. Tweezing the hairline back was a big fashion trend that went on for several centuries in the middle ages.

9 Likes