Well this is interesting

“Bible based” is usually a euphemism for biblical literalist. Generally with a strong (but selective) focus on Leviticus and Corinthians.

US-style hatemongering fundies, basically.

9 Likes

I don’t think that’s the case here; while their record isn’t perfect, on the whole Wheaton College seems to be on the more tolerant end of the Christian spectrum.

1 Like

Young Earth Creationists, then? That’s the other context in which I usually see it.

1 Like

What @Wanderfound said: it’s code for biblical literalist, in the worst possible way.

But if you look at someone with big innocent eyes and act very confused at the idea that there are no Christian churches in a city the size of Chicago that are “Bible-based”, so one has to be created from scratch, they might decide to never speak to you again (she hasn’t) but hopefully anyone within hearing will have something to think about.

6 Likes

Uh, I wouldn’t call them tolerant. Subtle bigotry is still intolerance.

Try this on for size, as an example:

Also, as Slacktivist points out about halfway down in the recent post I referred to above but didn’t directly link to:

Hawkins’ theological argument was identical to that made by Miroslav Volf at Wheaton College, where he was being honored as a respected guest by the same administrators who later pretended to be so aghast at Hawkins’ statement. When a group of white dudes applaud and nod approvingly at a white male professor, then scream in alarm when a black female professor says the same thing, it’s foolish to think the substance of her comments have anything to do with their reaction.

7 Likes

Which leaves me wondering: who thought adding migraines would improve Patheos, and why? It’s compatible with Reader view, but not compatible with my brain in default view.

1 Like

I stand corrected.

5 Likes

You can’t possibly know everything about all U.S. ‘Christian’ colleges! It’s just that the school is relatively local to me, and I read some religious blogs (like Slacktivist) that talk about it often, so I’ve seen more news about them than you’d expect.

8 Likes
2 Likes

I read this quite a while ago, but a friend brought it back to mind. A restaurant review comme il faut.

8 Likes

Hilarious! Thank you. :joy:

5 Likes

A bit of slapstick Cold War history…

3 Likes

Here’s a book-load of his bad reviews:

3 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes

“I believe ‘ye’ is the most commonly used word in the Bible, and in the Bible it means ‘you,’”

No. “Ye” is the plural form of “you.”

10 Likes

I am Ye
As you are he
As Ye am me
And we are all together.
Goo goo g’ joob

Can Ye dig it?
And who’s on first?

8 Likes

What was he informally known as? Toby?

6 Likes

I thought “you” was the plural. “Thou” is the singular.

6 Likes

It turns out the history is a little complex. Early on the plural was ye as a subject and you as an object, corresponding to singular thou and thee. But then you took over for both the subject and the singular, I’m not sure in what order.

Since then some dialects have made you exclusively singular and introduced new plurals. I’m sure you know y’all from America and youse from various places? Well, it seems in Ireland they didn’t need those, because they somehow managed to hold on to ye for the plural.

So apparently ye’re both right, just looking at different times and places.

11 Likes