Well this is interesting

I’d say TRY-plex, goes with DU-plex.

I also say kee-lo-metre instead of kil-ohm-etre.

7 Likes

Trip-lex. As in locomotive:

9 Likes

Triple X, as in “I have never visited that website.”

15 Likes

Lo-com-o-tive?

I’d say lo-co-mo-tive.

5 Likes

I personally kill all the os. Kill o gram kill ometer
Kil o byte

5 Likes

That’s what I say! I get steamed when people mispronounce it.

8 Likes

Agreed. After all, we say KIL-o-gram, not kil-OG-ram. I may be in the minority in Canada, but I think KIL-o-metre is the official pronunciation.

5 Likes

I’m quite chuffed when they get it right.

8 Likes

Tripleks.

By tryplex, do they mean trwplekh, truplekh, treiplekh, traiplekh, trwpleks, trupleks, treipleks, traipleks, or something else?

3 Likes

Please, people.

“Kilometre” is pronounced “klick.”

And “kilogram” is pronounced “KEY-lo.” Not “KEY-lo-gram,” just “KEY-lo.”

11 Likes

As long as you don’t pronounce “centimeter” as “sontimeter” as a lot of physicians do – first syllable as the French would say it, 3rd, 4th, and 5th like Americans say it. That is an a-bo-mi-na-tion.

ETA: Geez, I can’t even count. Make that: first syllable as the French would say it, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th like Americans say it. Oldage does that to you.

5 Likes

By “TRY-plex,” they mean /ˈtrī.pleks/; by “TRIP-lex”, they mean /ˈtrɪ.pleks/

I think. I’m not very used to using IPA.

3 Likes

Agreed. You don’t mix the pronunciation of two languages in the same word.

Similarly, “tourniquet” is /ˈtɝ.nɪ.kɪt/, or /tuʁnikɛ/, and never /tɝ.na.ki/.

4 Likes

So with the -ei- vowel in be, not the -ai- vowel in by?

If we’re at the point you need to use one on me, I am not going to get hung up on how you say it.

5 Likes

try-plex would be using the “y” in “try” (by, why, sigh, fie), as in “triangle,” where trip-lex would be using the “i” in “trip” (sit, fin, is, risk), as in “triple.”

2 Likes

No way. I’m waiting for a trained professional.

3 Likes

The point they’re trying to hammer home about tourniquets now is that if you need one and have to wait for a trained professional, you’re probably already dead.

So they’re trying to train and equip more amateurs.

3 Likes

What if someone suggested using duck tape?

5 Likes

Trying to control a severe bleed with something adhesive, which cannot be tightened to apply pressure? Mispronouncing “tourniquet” would suggest to me that the person might not know what they were doing, but trying to tape down a pressure bandage would guarantee in my mind that they don’t.

4 Likes