Well this is interesting

I considered using cassowaries, but decided it was too dangerous.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Site isn’t working here. When I kill the modal-- I hate modals they hurt-- it doesn’t let me page down or scroll down.

1 Like

I once got tasked with filling in for a marketing person by writing a client’s monthly (or weekly?) report about how their PPC ad campaign was doing. I looked through the notes on how to login and see the stats, and looked at the numbers from previous months. There wasn’t much difference in the overall aggregate numbers, so I drilled down into the details.

The client was a small company that had been selling supplies to other local businesses from a brick and mortar store for many years, and had built a website to sell some of their leftover/extra inventory. (It wasn’t setup for selling internationally.) The ads were supposed to be shown on news and business sites and targeted primarily at local visitors that might hopefully recognize the store’s name.

The detailed analytics showed that all the ad inventory was being placed (via a variety of 3rd-party middleman companies with weird names) on day 1 of the period, so no ads displayed the rest of the week/month. They were being displayed on scammy-looking sites with weird names that likely no one had heard of or used. And almost all of the clicks were coming from two places in Africa.

I suggested using a different ad service. That was rejected because this one was cheaper and the client had a limited budget and needed all the ads they could get since they still weren’t selling anything. Instead they were considering increasing their spending to get more ads via the same service. :exploding_head:

15 Likes

Clicks are so alluring. Even if you know the metric is fake, it’s exciting to see the number climb.

7 Likes
9 Likes

So, my first nightmare ever of the electricity monster rampaging across the city has finally come true.

13 Likes

O_o

“we lose money on every sale, but don’t worry, we’ll make it up on volume!”

I worked for a person who did similar stuff, at least until he ran out of money and folded the place.

11 Likes

14 Likes

8 Likes

So, I read this comment earlier, before reading @RAvery’s comment. I gasped, wondering what the fuck happened in Tijuana! After a more thorough read, I fear I have used up all my 2018 brain power, and now I’m down to the dregs, like a lighter running out of butane.

Work is going to pick up in a big way later next week, I gotta get my shit together.

9 Likes

No, this was my first honest-to-dog nightmare, from when I was about 4 years old, though the monster looked more like a blend of Reddy Kilowatt and the glowing guy from classic Scooby-Doo title credits, and stood around 50 feet tall.

9 Likes

It must have been a major nightmare for you to remember it all these years later.

It’s probably good that you aren’t in NYC to have seen it first hand :slight_smile:

My earliest nightmare was not super specific, but if I ever experience anything even close to that, I will lose. my. shit.

7 Likes

18 Likes
1 Like

I remember a lot of dreams and experiences from an early age. I don’t have a photographic memory, but I do have a Polaroid one.

6 Likes

an excerpt:

…On the face of it, these two positions seem contradictory. Yet both essays were reprinted in A Susan Sontag Reader (1983). More importantly, in an interview (also in the Reader ) Sontag doesn’t disavow the first essay. Rather, the critic argued the two essays show “a continuity, to be sure, in that both statements illustrate the richness of the form-content distinction, as long as one is careful always to use it against itself. My point in 1965 was about the formal implications of content, while the recent essay examines the content implicit in certain ideas of form.”

5 Likes

It’s almost like you’re an artist or something. :wink:

5 Likes

Really interesting article. I’d like to send this article to some conservative people I know, as a sort of hint, but I don’t think they’d get it.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing some frame research, as you do, and I have a quiz for you:
What do Dizzy Gilespie, George Reeves’ Clark Kent and Andy Warhol have in common?

They all wore the same frames. See for yourself:

And you can still get them from Moscot. Slight changes over the years, I suppose, but still the same basic idea. No, this is not a sponsored post.

12 Likes