Well this is interesting

So, fatter?

2 Likes

I actually do not.

I got the berret like Dizzy. Now I just need the frames!

6 Likes

Ooh, I should stop.

You wanted modern? Well what’s more modern than Stavinsky? Nothing. That’s what. Here’s Igor with the same frames Truman was wearing above:

This is the last one, I swear. Unless I find something really good.

10 Likes

Schoenberg, but he rarely wore glasses.

5 Likes

I was going to try to prove you wrong, but I’ve seen a lot of photos of Schoenberg and he wasn’t wearing glasses in any of them. Odd, considering that he lived well into his 70s so presumably he needed them at some time in his life.

2 Likes

Modern?

Note that the practical earpiece was already in use in the early 1600s. Now I’m wondering why nosepinchers and lourgnettes lasted into the 1900s.

6 Likes

Too many pockets, not enough trinkets and boxes and portable clocks to put in them.

3 Likes

Possibly reading glasses, but I don’t recall ever seeing any of those either. He may well have been someone who lucked out in the eyesight department.

2 Likes

They haven’t disappeared.

Behold pince-nez for the 21st century!

6 Likes

The original Ultima Thule came up in conversation. The name and description come from the work of scientist and explorer Pytheas of Massalia, and the location is most likely in central Norway. Only excerpts of Pytheas’s work survive.

2 Likes

Either that, or he was like me and habitually removed his glasses if a camera was around – for me at least, it’s not so much out of vanity as that the lenses do distort my upper face something awful, and it bothers other people. I’ve had a lot of obviously false “oh, your glasses will reflect the flash, do you mind?” comments over the years.

6 Likes

I sort of do that. I remove my glasses when I’m being photographed formally, but not when people randomly take my picture.

Then again, I usually wear contacts.

6 Likes

I think this possibly was meant for the Space Exploration thread?

I suppose it is technically space exploration, since Earth is in space…

2 Likes

Thread:

Lotsa nifty stuff, a fair bit (but not all) of it medical/biology themed.

12 Likes

Neat. And a little gruesome.

Just last night I noticed an ad for her book, The Butchering Art (seen in the background) in a recent issue of SciAm.

3 Likes

Which is a block down the street from this Statbucks from the American Revolution:

6 Likes

Just watching the “Deserts” episode of Planet Earth II. Shows just how scary some feathered creatures can be.

4 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes