Well this is interesting

Bizarre. But once we saw his painted trees turning into insects I started laughing, and continued laughing through to the end.

Can you imagine a 3D VR version of this?

How about an Odorama version? :scream:

4 Likes

I always thought there was something deeply disturbing about Bob Rossā€¦

7 Likes

(quick Googleā€¦)

Possibly?

4 Likes
2 Likes

Reminds me a lot of this.

1 Like
3 Likes
9 Likes

Iā€™ve never liked him, even though thatā€™s always been kind of an unpopular opinion

2 Likes

Thread. Just goes to show how diverse families can be.

7 Likes

I was swayed by his apparent academic rigor (look at all those footnotes! and the bibliography!) in his first books, but then he wrote a foreword to a book on a subject I know a lot about, and that exposed how good he is at pontificating as an expert when in fact he hasnā€™t done any actual research on the subject at all. Once the wool was gone from my eyes, I could never not see the poseur in anything he wrote after that.

10 Likes

Can confirm: Germany takes this stuff very seriously. And most of the people in the EU are close enough (themselves or their parents) to the horrors of WWII that they know why itā€™s better to work together.

9 Likes

I worked with a guy like that. He produced an incredible amount of output, meticulously detailed and footnoted, but none of it seemed especially novel or even all that relevant to the task at hand. It turned out he was just doing a Google search for something relevant-ish, grabbing the first hit on Scholar, and copypasting the Related Work section verbatim :laughing: :neutral_face: :cold_sweat:

Iā€™ve worked with people who werenā€™t quite up to snuff, or whose skills have deteriorated, but he was the only person Iā€™ve ever worked with who was a complete fraud.

10 Likes

This is problem with people who are in one field believing that it makes them good in all fieldsā€¦

14 Likes
8 Likes

Physician researchers are notorious for this.

5 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes
5 Likes

polari makes an appearance in the doctor who serial ā€œcarnival of monstersā€.

3 Likes
10 Likes