Well this is interesting

It’s gonna be a pug… It’s gonna be a pug… Yep. Pug.

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s the one.

4 Likes

As in “pug ugly”? How did they go from being proverbially “ugly” when the medical issues weren’t well-known to “cute” when they are well-known?

4 Likes
13 Likes

That’s because the term refers to “pugilist”, not any dogs.

6 Likes
2 Likes

So the insect apocalypse is when there are no longer enough insects to pollinate the flowering plants.

Do this mean we’re already living in a zombie apocalypse? 'cause there aren’t many zombies around here.

5 Likes

For want of a nail . . .

3 Likes

22 Likes
7 Likes

I’m not an historian, so I can’t judge the merits of the historians’ argument.

9 Likes

It’s not the only problem with the proposed Center.

To put it succinctly: it’s not what a community organizer from the south side of Chicago would envision.

There are arguments on both sides, of course, but a majority of locals are NOT happy with the decisions being made. It’s more about power and prestige than actually helping the area economically.

11 Likes

Yes, it is a threat, in the sense that we often want to see the original documents, physically. And the fact that it will be administered by a private entity instead of NARA, who have to abide by certain regulations that a private entity will not have to. So, yes, I think they are right to be concerned about all this.

12 Likes
17 Likes

“There’s only a very small percentage of those criminals out there that want to fight us and want to attack us, but a lot of them, like these individuals, they know they made bad mistakes, bad choices, but they want to do the right thing in life,” Nocco said.

It’s nice to see that sentiment coming from a police officer.

14 Likes

As a formerly incarcerated person once said to me “even crooks got kids”.

13 Likes

Spoilered for mild gruesomeness; how/why late-stage syphilis causes dementia:

4 Likes

I just watched this documentary on Youtube recently and found it really interesting.

That poor girl though.

7 Likes

penny dreadfuls for a new generation.

3 Likes

38:53
Narrator: Mercury was believed to help expel syphilus from the body. But the hideous side effects were well known as illustrated in this Victorian cartoon.

The Martrydom of Mercury was published in 1709–128 years before Queen Victoria.

source

7 Likes