Well this is interesting

Great work. Definitely Ignoble Prize worthy.

6 Likes

A reason to go to Indianapolis … Hmmm

7 Likes

Road trip!

8 Likes

Franchise!

8 Likes

Awesome photos of dancers:

5 Likes

All Cuadrado bananas have four sides. I’ve only ever seen them in Central America, because they do not travel well. But they are wonderful, custard-like flavor and firm, even when ripe:

If you freeze them, then let them thaw for a little while, it’s basically ice cream. I lived in an apartment with one of these trees right outside the front door, and the landlord let us pick whatever fruits we would eat, on his farm.

Bananas in US stores are an unending disappointment to me because there are a lot of great ones, and we get the least common denominator because it travels well: the cavendish. Blah-nana.

13 Likes

Well, your disappointment might not last much longer…

10 Likes

I’m not really into dance, but I keep coming across this IG post and it’s so gorgeous…

8 Likes

As somebody with quite a bit of experience in dance (including working for several professional dance companies), I can tell you that the balance and precision needed to do pointe work like this is phenomenal. These are highly trained dancers, not simply young students.

10 Likes

All I know is that next time I’m in Chicago visiting my dad, I’ll be trying to find out how to score tickets to their next performance.

6 Likes

All the classical art of dogs I’ve seen makes them look kinda hideous, like short-haired hyena-rats.

6 Likes

*sigh*

Must everything become a Trump reference?

4 Likes

I think that’s just what dogs looked like before fancy breeds came in. The feral dogs in Mumbai look like that too.

8 Likes

I’m not going to look at the images.

But I vaguely remember research suggesting that the earliest members of subclass phobotheria fully domesticated dogs resemble the Yaller or the Carolina as a landrace. And of course fully domesticated dogs’re the sister-group to the Dingo, differing in the dentition.

4 Likes

You might be interested in this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/fear-of-dogs-pov-1.4988431

There are images, so you might want to block those if you can before reading the story.

2 Likes
9 Likes

I used to love getting those when I was a little kid. Never did order the X-Ray Specs though. :laughing:

6 Likes

I wasn’t able to block the images. I was ready for fear, so that’s good. But of course they included a “cute” picture of a “cute” short-faced dog. How about some eye-bleach? Besides their “cute” ugliness, they often suffer severe health problems affecting the jaws and their ability to breathe due to their “cute” short faces.

4 Likes

Although they did caption it to say that for people with cynophobia, even “cute” animals are fear-inducing.

I saw a meme a few weeks back, with a wolf gazing at a human settlement, contemplating the worst that could happen if the wolf accepts warmth and food and companionship from the humans… followed by a “10,000 years later” caption of a miniature, squashed-face breed wearing a birthday hat.

7 Likes

a new place to get lost in?

http://smithsonianchips.si.edu

Introduction
The National Museum of American History’s Chip Collection consists of individual donations of objects, images and documentation that traces the history of integrated circuits. The Chip Collection is a continuing collection work-in-progress concerning a small part of the permanent collection of the Division of Information Technology & Society’s Electricity Collections.

I’m not sure how it compares to the computer history museum.

5 Likes