Well this is interesting

Oh agreed – although at least it will help with things like how much land is required for parking lots.

I so wish I could take light rail to work. I’ve got two obstacles: one, I have a “reverse commute” of going from a major centre to the burbs and two, the light rail won’t even exist in the butbs for at least two years.

7 Likes

Still is a composer I run across periodically. I’m always surprised by two things: the thorough quality of what he’s written and the fact that he’s so obscure.

It’s good to get to hear a number of hus works and learn a bit about his life.

He would have been big like Gershwin, if he had been white. But we can’t bemoan prejudices of the past when he’s still largely unknown today.

4 Likes

I love his channel even if he ruined my nostalgia for laserdiscs.

4 Likes

Ruined in what way?

2 Likes

Basically showing me that the quality wasn’t as good as I remember it, and bringing up memories of what a pain in the ass those discs were to handle.

6 Likes
11 Likes
14 Likes

This was a really interesting look at social stratification at Google. I’m sure most of us have seen the stories about the contractor underclass (which is pretty typical at any tech company) but this look at the under-underclass (and linked video) was fascinating.

9 Likes

I’m surprised those aren’t done by razoring the binding, and shoving them into an autofeed scanner – at least for books that aren’t rare.

4 Likes

That would have trouble with the folded maps and the bookmarks. I took their presence [not being unfolded or removed, respectively] as evidence that automated page-flipping was more common than manual.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Book scanning, 70s style:

Even the pages were turned automatically. Somehow there isn’t a video of this on the internet anywhere!

8 Likes

It’s visible in the opening credits.

4 Likes

The last couple of times I’ve visited the library of congress, several people were scanning or photographing old books in toto. And these were things like commercial directories, not books of significant literary value-- so the alienation factor is closer to mechanical turk than it is to bibliophile.

Often it’s a dslr setup on a tripod (either inverted tripod, or tripod with an extra arm).

2 Likes

The historiography of brexit.

Humans, Nietzsche thought, are always looking for meaning in their suffering. Grand narratives identifying economic circumstances or a national identity crisis behind Brexit are a way to give meaning to it. But sometimes, the reason we find ourselves in the present is simply the result of a cascade of unrelated and meaningless events—“just one bloody thing after another.”

6 Likes

Personally, I blame a lot of lousy politicians.

5 Likes

That opening whole scene is a gem between her outfit, the machine, and the music.

4 Likes

30-rock-want-go-there

14 Likes
5 Likes

OK, I’ll bite.

7 Likes