Well this is interesting

I’ve known at least two people IRL who are like this, although neither are as successful as Mallory. What’s your score?

6 Likes

I knew a guy in college who tended to inflate his background, so to speak, but not like that.

3 Likes

Old SF controversies never die…

11 Likes

No, that’s just a snake tattoo on someone’s cheek.

5 Likes

I’ve known a man who was very consistent with his lying – it was only when you tried to construct your own timeline of everything he’d said had happened that you realised it was impossible it had all happened.

I also know a woman (who remains a friend of friends) who has had one version or another of cancer for as long as I’ve known her – over 15 years now. She gets “sick” from the chemo, yet never loses weight or her hair.

And the kinds of cancer she’s claimed to have had… it’s hard to explain in a BBS post, but seriously, she should be dead several times over by now. I only learned this when I mentioned her latest bout to someone who used to work with cancer patients, and they got me to tell the whole story.

11 Likes
6 Likes

How anyone believes that adding more cars to our landscape is going to help the traffic problem in urban areas (driverless or not) is beyond me… you can’t add more vehicles and expect less traffic! Now more HOV on the road (or more trains, etc) will help… but if literally all of us has our own driverless cars, it’s not going to help the problem of volume on the streets.

10 Likes

A friend of mine is studying autonomous cars, and he says most adoption models assume ride sharing will be the norm, and private ownership the (expensive) exception.

5 Likes

Does that model have the AI blessing?

4 Likes

It assumes an AI can be developed which can safely drive a car, I’d that’s what you mean.

That problem becomes much easier to solve if human drivers are off the roads, of course.

5 Likes

Theory I developed while reading this article: what if everyone’s feeling of disgust at Trump is what is making the authoritarians MORE extreme in their political stance?

10 Likes

No actual maggots visible yet under the combover.

6 Likes

6 Likes

Maggots only eat dead flesh, so it’s an important sign that he’s not dead yet.

3 Likes

A blessing from Reverend Al?

7 Likes

Quite a better blessing.

3 Likes

I certainly think the disgust reinforces itself after conservatives make moves to separate and
isolate themselves, therefore making the unease more pronounced in future experiences. I can’t see how it would not lead to more extremist behavior.

9 Likes

The hype around the original study really bugged me. Personally, I took better, more legible notes on the laptop than I ever did by hand. I could link things better with footnotes and reorganise in ways that made sense to me, without a billion scribbled arrows. (An added bonus was that the program I was in required a minimum typing speed to graduate. At the beginning, several other students mocked me. At the end, they’re all moaning that they’ve got to put so much work in to get fast enough. But somehow it was unfair of me to not be worried, because I had been typing throughout the entire course (instead of merely when I had to for assigments). They didn’t seem to grasp the concept that the best way to get better at something is to just do it).

TL; DR: do what meets your needs and is best for you. Learning and retention is highly individualistic. Oh, and don’t mock other people doing what works for them.

7 Likes

Ugh, thank you so much for this.

My handwriting has been officially awful ever since I learned cursive. I learned how to touch type and really don’t write much anymore since I’ve been able to afford laptops.

I can totally relate to what you said about note-taking. Note-taking on a computer makes it so much easier to add context.

4 Likes

That still means individual cars on the roads. The number of cars on the road will not really go down, because people will still need to get where they are going at the times they usually need to. Individuals in cars is not going to solve our traffic problem (even if we do switch over to full election, which we should, of course). I’m not saying that individual cars need to go away, but that public transit needs to be part of this solution.

7 Likes